1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting internal burner to External

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by aftshock, Mar 18, 2005.

1. aftshock

aftshock Member

Hello all,

I recently purchased an internal DVD burner from Memorex and now I have purchased a laptop. I will be bring my laptop to college with me, but leaving my desktop at home, for now. Anyway, I really want to keep my DVD Burner, so I was wondering if there was a way to convert my internal DVd burner to external??? I will most likely plug it in via USB. Any suggestions or online tutorials? Is this a common practice?

Thanx,
    Aftershock

2. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

i wouldn't say that it is common, but it is very do-able. search google for a tutorial. bottom line is you simply have to get the shell off of the dvd player. then the shell will fit into an external enclosure (nice ones are available at newegg.com). if you have ever installed a hard drive, then you can do this very easily.

just be aware that when buying an enclosure that there is now going to be a chipset between the burner and your computer. this can cause problems if there is an incompatibility, trust me it happens (i've been there). but if you get a nice enclosure you shouldn't have any problems at all.

the enclosure will cost you $30-40, so you may be better off to just use that towards a nice external burner. i have a Plextor 716-UF and its sweet, but not cheap. good luck man!

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

sox2k4 is right you will need an enclosure and cable and power pack. I have two usb dvd-rw and love them but believe me in long run it is cheaper to just leave your drive in desktop and purchase another drive, less problems, you can get a lite-on for less than 100.00