1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting MKV to avi

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Crimson2, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Crimson2

Crimson2 Member

In short i i have no idea what im doing i am pretty good with this kind of stuff and well im totaly lost i found a tut but the tut links me to a program that dosnt wok because it says its missing a file can somone please

1) gimmie a tut
    2) link me to the programs nessary to do it

id really appreciate it

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

VSO ConvertXtoDVD

3. Crimson2

Crimson2 Member

it really didnt work when i converted the movie and burnt it i didnt get any sound ...MKV format is a little diffrent ill link you to a tut http://www.geocities.com/fma588/VideoConverting.html
    i downloaded the files and they didnt work for me so im still kinda stuck and well i really need to convert thease

4. eevol

eevol Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
  5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Yeah, odd. They recommend mkvextract GUI, which is just a GUI. Without mkvextract (part ofmkvtoolnix) it is useless, but mkvtoolnix isn't mentioned at all that I could see. The next problem would be that these days you probably won't get an avi for the extracted video since most mkv's would be using native AVC.

6. Crimson2

Crimson2 Member

ya really but is therte no hope lol or could i go and buy a program from future shop or somthing ?

7. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

While using XviD4PSP from winnydows.com to transcode some movies for a friend's PSP I realized that it could be used for other transcoding applications as well. While the options are somewhat limited it can transcode .mkv (and other H264) files to .avi files (DixX or XviD) with good results. You will have to play around with the options to find how to get the desired results, but it is not too difficult. I recommend working with short files (like trailers) while you are learning, as transcoding a long file can take hours. Make sure you select a high video bit rate to retain high quality video. XviD4PSP is really a GUI that uses mencode and ffdshow (and other) command line tools in the background to accompish the transcoding, which helps take the mystery out of using those tools. I believe that it comes with everything it uses, but you may have to add a codec or two to your system depending on your needs (I already had many codecs loaded when I found this tool). It is freeware, but a donation to the developer is always a good way to show your appreciation, and help keep the application (and developer) alive!

8. AudioAC3

AudioAC3 Member

Please try to search in Google by using this keywords "MKV to AVI Converter", then you will find MKV to AVI Converter, there is a program named MKV to AVI Converter.

P.S. It is not a freeware, buy maybe it is worth the money.