1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting mkv to ts format

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by DigiCrime, Oct 29, 2007.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Member

Anyone had much success with this? I have mkv videos that I had backed up but was wanting to play them over the TV rather then sitting at the computer all the time and ConvertXtoDVD seemed to be the answer but 1 in 4 usually fail. For those looking to play mkv on a standard dvd player suggest you use the software at your own risk.

My first attempt at this the conversion process came out to something larger then dvd5. Even though I had it set to this it would still somewhat overlap more by 100-300 megs. I removed all my codecs and started over using what was needed to play general video formats and mkv as well. Once I got all this updated I was able to convert mkv containers some what faster and the over all video_ts file size always stays well below 3 gigs even though the mkv file is 4.3gigs.

The problems I run into with the failed ones are mostly audio playback. With VLC I can select the audio format, rather it be 5.1, stero or mono. When I use ConvertX it doesn't give me an option to choose a default audio mode so unless the DVD player allows me to change the format which usually doesn't I have a failed DVD.

Second problem I run into is video playback. It has audio or no audio at all and the video runs at 1/4 of the speed but if I play in my computer it runs just fine as if nothing is wrong.

Maybe I need new dvd players who knows...I have had some success converting mkv to Xvid format then to ts but its a long process and you definately need some CPU to do it if you want to do other things on your computer while its converting like browsing the net but I wouldn't suggest it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I recommend you try SUPER to convert your mkv files to dvd compliant files (vob, ifo, bup).

It has a very advanced set of options that you can set different video/audio frame/bitrates.

Once converted, if your files are too big for a dvd-5, then you could always consider running them through an app like DVD Shrink to reduce the file size without too much quailty loss (dependant on the output quality from the cv=onversion, though).

Hope that helps somewhat.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Tried SUPER and it worked fine for me. At first it seemed a little intimidating but once you read about it and clicked on a few of the tabs/buttons it's NOT so bad. ;)

Thanks wee Ripper!!! :D

....gm