1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting movies with DivxtoDVD, then DVDnextCOPY to burn - "no disc" error

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dad2jtcj, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dad2jtcj

dad2jtcj Member

I have been converting movies with DivxtoDVD and using DVDnextCOPY to burn them. Most of them are working great in my dvd player however i get a few that when i put the discs in the dvd player says disc error. I can play them back on my PC with no problem. I have tried running one of the movies thru dvdshrink too and still get the same error. Any sugestions would be great as i do not want to waste a bunch of discs.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Sounds like crappy media. What brand are you using?
    What speed are you burning at?
    Is your firmware up to date?

3. dad2jtcj

dad2jtcj Member

I have been using memorex and esa. My firmware is up to date. I am burning at top speed but if I slow it down I still have this problem. It is only these movies that I am converting and only about 10% of them.

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Memorex are about the worst media you can get. Try Tayio Yeuden or Verbatim.

5. dad2jtcj

dad2jtcj Member

I have never had probelms with the memorex. I am having the same problem with the esa too. I Was reading another post of people having problems like this. they have vista and that is what i am running too. I burn off of a dvd to a dvd+r and have no problems it is just trying to convert movies that are downloaded that I am having this problem with.

6. dad2jtcj

dad2jtcj Member

My burner is a Slimtype DVD A DS8A1H ATA

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

One problem with Memorex is they use many manufacturers for their disks, you may get Ritek, Prodisk, Ricoh-JPN or (Cough, hack, Gag,--CMC Magnetics, AKA CMC-MAG) esa is another CMC-MAG product if I remember correctly.
    Memory
    Trust Dialysis, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden won't steer you wrong.
    Look for your burner here on the firmware update page and try updating your firmware to the latest version.
    Firmware page

Edited for poor spelling.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  8. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Well your using a crap DVD recorder in conjunction with horrible media, so I'm willing to bet that's your main problem right there.

First off, DON'T burn at maximum speed. I loose track of the amount of times I say this.
    In fact, NEVER burn at maximum speed for anything. Your only increasing your chances for read errors, and defective discs.
    Slow it down to 4x and BE PATIENT. It's not a race.

Secondly, those programs your using aren't exactly top-notch.
    Try DVD Flick, it's pretty similar to DivXtoDVD and lets you control the bitrate settings.

And third, with DVD+R media so cheap these days, who can't afford to pay an extra $5-$10 dollars and get yourself some Verbatims.

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Verbatims on sale everywhere this week, (Supermediastore.com) in brick and mortar stores, go to your local Office Depot and get their in store brand, the disks will code out to Ricoh or Ritek, $19.99 for one hundred disks. Bring along an empty ink jet cartridge and take an additional $3.00 off.
    Who makes your DVD Burner by the way, did a quick search and couldn't come up with a manufacturer?

10. dad2jtcj

dad2jtcj Member

I am not sure who manufactures the burner but it came in my HP Pavilion dv6446us notebook pc. It has lightscribe capability. I found out that even though my 3 dvd players I tried to play the discs in that would not play them that they work in my friends dvd player.

11. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

To tell your burner model/manufacturer:

Go Start> Right-Click on My Computer> Properties> Click on the Hardware Tab> Click 'Device Manager'.

Click on the Plus Sign next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives and the manufacturer name and model will be displayed below it.

Just copy that here.

12. dad2jtcj

dad2jtcj Member

13. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Low-quality brand..

I seriously recommend you get some decent media, just about any Verbatim DVD+R's are fine, try burning at slower settings (4x) and let us know how it goes!

14. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well I like to burn my Taiyo Yuden 8X-R's (TYG02) at 12X. I've found this provides me with the best burn.

Here's a scan, burned on a Pioneer DVR 115D @ 12X and scanned in my Benq.

[​IMG]

On another forum someone said the Benq should be set 8X when scanning, as 4X will inflate the score. Here's another then at 8X scanning. Again this was also burned at 12X.

[​IMG]

It don't get much better than this. This magical/mystical 4X burning only mantra is getting a bit old.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  15. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I think the 4X rule was valid during the change over from 4X to 8X media, prior to the 16X burners catching up. I can burn 16X Verbatim disks at 18X and still get 95 scores, however I do all of my burns at 12X, seems to be less errors than at 8X or even 6X.

16. puterman

puterman Member

@dad2jtcj
    I had this problem for a long time, but after some intense research I finally got them to work.
    Most likely the Divx movies your converting to DVD are encoded PAL not NTSC. This will follow thru any program you use including shrink, the output will still be PAL, which won't play on your stand alone player but will on a computer. I've never used DivxtoDVD so I don't know, you might check to see if it will also change PAL to NTSC while encoding. I use ConvertXtoDVD and it does have the ability but it makes the video a little choppy.

17. handford

handford Guest

please help. i wish to convert a real player downloaded dvd and burm to dvd in order to play on my dvd player to view on the tv, i am in the uk pal system.i have tried a trial version of convertxtodvd and all i got when playing was 2 x images which were orange coloured, i am new to this so please help and explain what is real player format etc, thanks