1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting mp4 (itunes download) to mp3?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Oilfan, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Oilfan

Oilfan Member

does anyone know how to do this, the file is protected, i've tried a few things, but no go...anyone got some good ideas?..thx in advance.

2. Platy767

Platy767 Regular member

That function is included in iTunes.

From the Advanced menu you can "Convert Selection to MP3"
    The MP3 settings is in Edit > Preferences > Advanced on the Importing tab.

3. Oilfan

Oilfan Member

it says it can't convert copy protected music when i do all that.

4. Platy767

Platy767 Regular member

And you even said they were protected in your first post! I must have missed that.

For protected files you may need to burn to CD, then rip with your favourite ripper. You can burn a disk from a playlist in iTunes. Haven't tried to then rip to MP3 with iTunes, but Nero and EAC work.

5. whebster

whebster Guest

I had this same question and looked at threads before posting and luckily found this.
    Are you saying to burn the song to a disc and then upload it back to i tunes? and it should then be an mp3?
    I bought a song from itunes for a slideshow dvd i'm doing through dvd santa and it i can't seem to get it to upload it. thanks

6. Platy767

Platy767 Regular member

Yes. The protection on iTunes is less stringent, more reasonable, than other downloads I have used. iTunes allows the purchased track(s) to be burned to audio CD (Burn disc) within the application on an authorised computer.

You can then rip the CD to whatever format you like with your favourite ripper like EAC or Nero - even iTunes MP3(setup your import settings for MP3). Just be aware that the iTunes download is already compressed, so burning it to a CD then re-ripping is another compression/lossy stage.