1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting mpeg1 to mpeg 2

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by 83512370, Jun 12, 2004.

1. 83512370

83512370 Member

how would you convert mpeg 1 to mpeg 2? what software would be used? could you use tmpgenc plus?

any help would be greatly appreciated
    many thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can use Tmpgenc Pluss ...
    Why do you have to convert Mpeg1 to Mpeg2????

3. shotor

shotor Member

WinAVI Video Converter

4. zjmedia

zjmedia Member

Hi,
    Why not try the software named WinAVI Video Converter http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm. In fact, it is a complete solution for video file converting and burning. It can convert mpeg1 to mpeg2 in 15 minutes with stunning video quality.

5. shotor

shotor Member

and i have purchased it
    i can share it with you
    bye

6. zjmedia

zjmedia Member

Thanks for your assistance! If you have some questions, you can contact me at support@winavi.com.

7. shotor

shotor Member

ya thanks
    i have just installed winxp and then i install your software ,then i try to convert mpeg2 to mpeg1 but it says
    something wrong with the manager.dll
    then i install ulead media studio 7 and the problem got fixed, why?
    is there any specific DLL?

8. shotor

shotor Member

ya thanks
    i have just installed winxp and then i install your software ,then i try to convert mpeg2 to mpeg1 but it says
    something wrong with the manager.dll
    then i install ulead media studio 7 and the problem got fixed, why?
    is there any specific DLL?
    another thing, i can translate ur software into my language. send me email to tell me what should i do
    arash_soltani2003@yahoo.com

9. zjmedia

zjmedia Member

Hi,
    Maybe that is because your system has no mpeg2 encode before, so when you installed ulead media studio 7, the problem got fixed.
    And I have sent a mail about the translation to your inbox arash_soltani2003@yahoo.com.
    Good luck!

10. shotor

shotor Member

so do u know any way to avoid installing media studio

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Quality of the WinAVI Video Converter is no were near the Quality of Tmpgenc or MainConcept encoder ,it is Faster than Tmpgenc but not as fast as the MainConcept Encoder...It is definately a consumer Level Converter Not a Professinal Quality encoder....

12. zjmedia

zjmedia Member

Hi,
    You have to install relevant decoder if you don't have one. Of course, you also istall other mpeg2 decoder not just limmited to media studio. You also mentioned that WinAVI is a consumer Level Converter Not a Professinal Quality encoder. In fact, it is one of its characters, and it can be easily used by both newbie and professional.

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t want to sound Rude but you odviously don"t know much about Mpeg encodeing if you think the the Winavi Video Converter is a professinal Quality encoder, I wouldn"t even recomend it to a Newbie...

I hadn"t tried it for a while so I went and installed version 5.5 ,and What a Mickey Mouse bottom of the Barell program..It is even worse than I remembered..
    You can"t even select the Bitrate to encode with, or the Audio Format or Sample rate, and without these Very basic Features it is Practicly useless to a newbie much less a Professinal...

There are Certain Features a Mpeg encoder "MUST" have depending on the Type of source file you are encodeing so you can even get a Half Decent result, and here are Just a few of them...

Bitrate selection..
    Audio Format..
    Audio Sample Rate..
    Scanning Pattern..
    Quantize Matrix..
    DC Component Precition...
    Profile and Level...
    Field Order...
    Gop structure...
    Multi-Pass...
    Motion Vectors...
    VBV Buffer...
    3:2 Pulldown...
    VBR or CBR
    And the List can go on for quite a Bit...

These are features that even some of the Most Basic encoders have, even the Crappy ones but Winavi Video Converter doesn"t have any of these Features for Mpeg2 encodeing and without these Features the Quality of the Files created by the encoder will allways be substandard because depending on the Type of source file you have certain Features muse be enabled..
    For instance if your Source AVI file is a 2 hour Progressive file with a Frame rate of 23.976fps and you wanted to encode the File to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 File , you would have to set the Scanning Pattern to ZigZag, the DC Compnent Precition to 10 ,Enable 3:2 Pulldown set the Audio sample rate to 48000hz and set the Profile and Level to Main profile Main level , set the Aspect ratio to 4:3 and set the Video Bitrate to 4875kbs and set the VBV Buffer to 224....
    Now how is one to do this if these settings do not exist in the Encoder?? You cant because without these settings you will end up with Crap which is what this encoder will create for you.....
    You should go out and get a real encoder and learn how to use it then you will know what Quality actually looks Like......Cheers

PS: the One good thing it has going for it is that it is Fairly fast...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004