1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Mpeg2

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by longhorn, Oct 30, 2002.

1. longhorn

longhorn Guest

When I convert an Mpeg2 to a vob file by using various authoring programs I find that the resulting vob file is much larger then the original Mpeg2 file. I realize that there should be some increase but how do i keep it down to a minimum. I don't care about special menus i just want a captured vhs Mpeg2 file to be played on dvd and i need all the space i can get. thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Kepp the bit rates as low as you possibly can. What did you use to encode it to .vob?

3. Dela

Kepp the bit rates as low as you possibly can. What did you use to encode it to .vob?

4. longhorn

longhorn Guest

i used the software that came with pioneer A04 dvd burner

5. longhorn

longhorn Guest

all i want to do is put vhs tapes on dvd at a decent quality when i capture the vhs tape and create an mpeg2 file of for example 3 gig this same file when converted to a vob turns into much higher for example 3.8 gig I fwas hoping i could somehow come closer to the size of the original mpeg 2 file

6. Dela

You should try TMPGEnc. They have dvd projects that you can select and will give the precise file size of the movie that will be outputed!

The quality should be ok if you change the settings to highest quality but will take a long time to encode!

7. longhorn

longhorn Guest

ok well what i want to know is can a vob file be created at approximately the same size as the mpeg2 file it came from? I don't know if i just need to get better software or if this will always be the case no matter what software i use. I start with an mpeg2 file at 3 gig and end up with vob file of 3.8 gig. what is the normal increase if you just want a streight conversion from mpeg2 to vob with no fancy menus etc?

8. Dela

The increase happens because the encoder you use encodes it to a higher bit rate. An Mpeg-2 file should be ok for dvd anyway, just change the extension. An mpeg-2 file is the exact same as a vob file except, there's only one audio stream (usually).

9. longhorn

longhorn Guest

okey dokey i'll try anything oncethanks