1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting MPG to AVI

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mrsafety, Sep 2, 2004.

1. mrsafety

mrsafety Member

Hi All

I have a new Sony digital camera that also records video in 640x480 mode but which it stores directly as MPG2 on a memory stick.
    I also have a Sony VAIO which comes with a video format conversion utility so I can import the MPG clips into it, convert them to AVI and then edit them in Premiere Pro and then so on.

My questions:
    1. How bad will the video quality be because of this conversion and then ultimate reconversion back into MPG for burning to DVD?
    2. Is there a better way for me to edit native MPG files so that the quality is as good as possible?
    3. Anyone know whether any alternative MPG->AVI converters would be better than the Sony DVGATE thing?
    4. Is it better, perhaps to get Premiere to do the conversion from MPG (if it can) ?

Or is there an overall better solution to my problem?

thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Firstly Premier Should be able to Load Mpeg files no problem...My version Loads Mpeg1 and Mpeg2 files no problem and I have a Native Mpeg editing Plugin for Premier which lets you edit Mpeg files without re-encodeing and degradeing the Quality...

There are programs that do native Mpeg editing and some even have effects and transitions like "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" or "Womble Mpeg2VCR"....

Cheers

PS: if you are going to convert the Mpeg files to AVI then you should convert them to a Lossless AVI format Like either Uncompressed AVI or use the HuffYUV codec, with these formats there is no quality loss when converting to AVI....

Cheers

3. LinCathy

LinCathy Member

Hi, I have ever used to convert my mpg file and mov file to avi with WinAVI Video Converter. The converting speed is very surprising fast, and the audio and video quality both are very stunny. By the way, you can get a trial version of the program from its page http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

beware ahead of time thou the trial version sucks in one aspect....it puts this really annoying watermark right through the center of your video.....it's cool to see the result but if you plan to keep it don't do the whole file...just do a clip

5. LinCathy

LinCathy Member

hi, yes, there is a watermark acrossing the screen if it is a trial version. However, it will disappear as soon as the program is registered.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

1)if you do it right it would be lossless. if not it will be crap.
    2)http://www.avisynth.org/
    3virtualdub and xvid
    4)no, premiere output crappy mpeg4.

as for the lossless method, like minion said, huffyuv, mjpeg. avisynth is a frameserver.

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

1)if you do it right it would be lossless. if not it will be crap.
    2)http://www.avisynth.org/
    3virtualdub and xvid
    4)no, premiere output crappy mpeg4.

as for the lossless method, like minion said, huffyuv, mjpeg. avisynth is a frameserver.

8. mrsafety

mrsafety Member

Thanks all for the info thus far. After playing about a little I have discovered that (a) my video files are actually MPEG-1 not -2 (b) I can import them into Premiere Pro as is and even seem to trim them and add them to the timeline.

If I save the movie as AVI they are converted but, yes, the quality seems a little poor. Are these lossless codecs (e.g, HuffyUV)plug-ins for Premiere Pro which I could use when I save or would I use them some other way? I had a quick look at avisynth and that looks way too complicated for my purposes.

cheers