1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting PAL DVD to NTSC

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nosmarbad, Feb 19, 2005.

1. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Can anyone tell me how to convert a PAL DVD to NTSC please? I thought Decrypter or Shrink may do it but I cannot find any reference in eitehr.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

But you could sure find lots of answers if you knew how to use search. FWIW, I do it with NeroVision Express.

3. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

I have done several searches but have found nothing. Thanks, I will look at nero vision.
    i also posted a question months ago about doing a straight disk copy of a -vr format dvd. I don't suppose you could answer that one either?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear nosmarbad,
    To do that, you often have to convert the dvd into another format (e.g. mpeg) first. After that, you may use e.g. NVE to do it (click 'more' to reveal video options).

5. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Just learning here..What exactly is a pal dvd and what exactly is the NTSC format? Also what does these new superbit dvds have in advantage as opposed to the ones that we always have been using?

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Read your own post, click on the link, and you'll learn about PAL and NTSC.

7. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

I tried NeroVision Express 2 and it worked ok apparently, but the sound doesn't lipsync, it is slightly out. Took about 7 hours on a Pentium 2.4gz 512ram running XP.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

There may be programs that suit your system better. But for that you have to explore yourself.

9. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

System is a plain vanilla system.
    Anyone have suggestions for a programme that might syn the sound and lips?

10. aleitz

aleitz Member

11. gogina

gogina Member

As DVD players are digital, the only reason for converting from PAL to NTSC is because the image might not fit on a US TV.

The resolution of PAL is slightly higher than that of NTSC.

However with modern TVs, particularly digital TVs, there will be no problem whatsoever, as they automatically adjust their resolution to match the incomming signal.

The best of all worlds comes with DVD players that have either an HDMI or DVI port (and incorporate HD Upconversion - artificially converting DVDs to a high definition resolution, effectively doubling the quality of the image).

The players make words like PAL and NTSC obsolete as they operate in a similar manner to a PC's video card, offering resolutions as high as 1930 x 1080 (hence the reason HDTVs are listed as being capable of displaying 1080I resolution images).

The player will have several resolutions it can work with, 1930 x 1080 being the highest, and you have to admit, pretty darn high.

So if you have a digital tv, then rather than convert your movies from pal to ntsc, get a dvd with hd upconversion.

You'll still need to strip the region coding from the movie, and reburn it to whatever region code is compatible with your dvd player - dvd copying software might do this, I don't know, the best dvd copying software I've found to date is found here http://www.slysoft.com/

So really what you need is not so much to convert from PAL to NTSC, as even a standard TV will display a PAL DVD if the DVD Player can play it, but to convert from one region to another.

The only way to do this may well be to convert your movie to an mpeg2 then burn it back to a DVD+-R, but I would check to see if regular DVD copying software works first.

AnyDVD (DVD/CD decrypter) and CloneDVD2 (DVD authoring software) are fully operation for 22 days without the need to purchase, so at least you can try them out for free.

12. kopite

kopite Member

I'm not convinced of the size issue between PAL (UK and some European countries standard) and NTSC (North American standard).
    I used to live in Europe and now I'm in the US.
    When I wanted to watch/play NTSC format videos and games
    on a PAL system I had to get a box to alter the frequency of a one of the synchronisation signals to the TV. Otherwise the picture was in black and white and a little unstable.
    When I play my PAL DVD's on NTSC equipment they appear the same way.
    Some DVD players can be modified (either by hardware or software) to remove regional protection and many even give you the option of the output signal format.
    I bought a cheap DVD player from walmart, it'll now play anything and output it in PAL, NTSC or Multisync - your choice, depending on what kind of TV you have.

On the resolution point, PAL pictures are made up of 625 lines and basic NTSC is 480 lines.

13. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

I appreciate the responses. My experience of playing ntsc dvd's has been an issue with older tv's. The dvd player plays it ok, but old tv's in australia won't play ntsc pictures. You either get black horisontal lines and no picture, or black and white pictures only. I am visiting asia where they use ntsc (philippines) and wanted to play a pal dvd to a friend. The region thing is not an issue. Not knowing his tv, i assumed hem ight have the same problems i had. The newer tv's in Australia automatically switch, I don't know what tv he has there. The foolproof way was to make an ntsc copy of the dvd, it's too late now, so I will have to take the pal dvd and hope it plays.

14. WonderZ

WonderZ Member

I have found that Canopus Procoder does a great (and easy) conversion of PAL to NTSC.

15. jsms928

jsms928 Guest

Have you ever tried DVD santa, worked for me easily.