1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting PAL DVDS to NTSC DVDS - help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jeffamb, Aug 7, 2007.

1. jeffamb

jeffamb Member

Hello all,
    I bought some European (PAL) dvds that I need to convert to DVDS (NTSC) which will play in my home dvd player (Philips DVP-3050V). At first, I used DVD Copy Fab or Arc Dvd Copy with Anydvd and the dvd woulden't play in my home dvd player, but it played fine in my computer. It also played fine on 2 other dvd players in a friends house. The original causes a "region not playable" warning.

So I started to investigate converting PAL to NTSC. I've used IFOEDIT 0.971 and I manually edited all the IFO files to "NTSC" and burned the DVD using VSO COnvertxToDVD. It worked in my home dvd player for the first time, but the subtitles disappeared. The menus were intact. Audio and picture were ok. For a second try, I used VOB Blanker 2.130 and the program crashed twice at 57%. I had enough HD space, so I don't know why it crashed.

What do I need to do here? I'm not fond of the Nero programs, and I would like to avoid the extraordinarily long instructions I've seen posted around which are said to be "simple". I have many dvds to process, so I would like a simpler approach like the ones offered by IFOEDIT or VOB Blanker.

I'm almost there. I just want the subtitles.

Do I change some setting in IFOEdit that I overlooked?

I hope so.

I found an Afterdawn post with "larrylje" where he said the best program to convert PAL to NTSC was ConvertXtoDVD. I use version 2.0.1.101. Will this version do the job? If it will, why can't I get it to work? I click "action" > "convert" > I manually add all the files > and it gives 2 error msgs. "Original files are too big to fit on the media (9.18 gb)" and "Unsupported encoder for output stream #1".

What am I doing wrong? I'm almost there.

System: Windows XP Pro SP2

2. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Use VobBlanker

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  3. jeffamb

jeffamb Member

Did you read my post? I like VOB Blanker. Looks like a terrific program. I enjoyed it's interface. But I tried it. It crashed twice.

If you can explain how to use it without crashing it and to be sure subtitles are there, I'd appreciate it.

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

"The original causes a "region not playable" warning."

I'm just wondering if it's more a region problem than a PAL/NTSC problem. Googling on your Philips DVP-3050V, it seems it should handle PAL DVD's. But, some DVD players that can play PAL video still have a problem with the region code.

"At first, I used DVD Copy Fab or Arc Dvd Copy with Anydvd".

That should have removed the region code. But, before going through all the trouble of PAL/NTSC converting, you'd want to make 100% sure that your putting a region free PAL DVD into your Philips DVD player and the player won't play it.

If you open the newly ripped and burned DVD with DVD Decrypter it shows all 8 regions?
    Is there some kind of setup/config menu on your DVD player to enable PAL?

5. jeffamb

jeffamb Member

When I put in the DVD (after DVDFAB or ARC with ANYDVD) in my computer, it plays with no region warning. There's no where in my setup or config menu on the DVD player that mentions PAL.

Please let me know where you got your DVP-3050V spec info.
    I use this link for the user manual and software, which it turns out I'm using the latest firmware. http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...P3050V/37&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

I'll get back to you on the DVD Decrypter question if it shows all regions or not.

Bear in mind, I got the dvd to work in my Philips player. Finally. Using IFOEdit, it worked, but the subtitles are gone. Audio is sync, menus are there, all is fine except the subtitles. I desperately need those subtitles.

DVDExploder seems to offer a region unlock code (looks like firmware I have to program into the EPROM, nasty) for $10 but it won't claim it works 100% and it's a little more risky than I want to take this. I'd rather work with the dvd media and the files than starting messing with the firmware on the player itself.

6. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

7. jeffamb

jeffamb Member

The source of the confusion is where the Philips player was bought.
    I bought mine in the U.S., it's firmware screen says it's encoded to play Region 1. The support site link I sent you was from a UK based site, I thought originally, but obviously it must be somewhere other than the UK, because the manual downloaded from that site says the player is encoded for Region 4. And PAL discs. The manual does say it's encoded to play PAL discs.

I can't find the original paper manual for my player.

The confusion starts because you're mixing information from Europe, and someplace else, like Australia, and North America. If the Philips player was bought over there, that information would apply.

When I put in the Europe bought dvd, it says "Region not playable".

Which is ridiculous in any case.