1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Pal To NTSC

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by keekauk, Jan 3, 2004.

1. keekauk

keekauk Member

can anyone help me convert a PAL DVD into an NTSC??

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Like I told you Before this Is not an easy thing to do and there will be Quality Loss and you will need some Software that isn"t freeware that will cost far more than Buying the NTSC Version of the DVD, and you will Loose any Special Features and any extra Audio Tracks and the Menu"s from the Original DVD...

Here is what you will need:
    #1)SmartRipper or DVD Decryptor-Freeware
    #2)DVD2AVI 1.76 or 1.77.1-Freeware
    #3)aprox 50gb Of Disk Space
    #4)AVI Frame Rate converter -Freeware
    #5)AC3 Decoder Like "Headac3he" -Freeware
    #6)AC3 Encoder if you want to have Dolby audio
    #7)a Good Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc,Mainconcept or CCE
    #8) DVD authoring program like "Tmpgenc DVD author"
    #9)a Good audio editor Like "GoldWave"
    #10) HuffyUV Codec-Freeware
    #11) DoPulldown or Pulldown.exe to add 3:2 Pulldown Flags-Freeware
    #12)Someone who has 12 hours to explain it to you...
    #13) A lot Of Patience and time to get it right...

If you are Still Interested let me Know and I"ll explain it to you But as you can see there are many steps and a Lot of Software is needed and It will take me a Long time to explain it and you will have to sort of Know what you are doing..So if you are still intersted then go round up the software and post back and I"ll explain it to you...Cheers

3. brent1a

brent1a Member

Minion-
    You sound like you knoiw exactly what you're doing. Could you PM me this guide? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

4. MrParrish

MrParrish Member

Hey Guy...I for one would like to learn how to do it. I subscribe to a british DVD magazine and they're always including full DVD movies with their issues and I can't watch them. Been ripping NTSC dvd's for awhile now. So perhaps I could learn to convert from PAL. Reply to "NO EMAIL ADDRESSES ON FORUM" please. Thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well I've got a few DVD's (burns) someone gave me that show as PAL in PowerDVD. They play fine in my JVC. Many of the cheaper players out there will play/convert PAL discs (if they aren't region coded). My friend's $40 Daewoo will play region 0 PAL discs with no problems.

If anyone is interested I have a Sampo DVE 660 for sale. It is a region free (changeable regions) NTSC/PAL player. The loop hole menu is accessable so it is now also 'VCR friendly'. As far as burned DVD's, It will only play Princos (go figure).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  6. TriKlops

TriKlops Member

I used the guide one of this guys provided at dvdrhelp, it worked for me, no encoding, and it was done fairly fast, but as you keep reading, is a matter of how your dvd player is going to take it, it didnt work for most of the people that tried, but hey! you might be a lucky one like me :p

"Try this trick. I have successfully ripped and converted sereval UK issued DVDs to play on many different US only/ non firmware upgradable DVD players. after ripping the contents to the HD using Smartripper 2.41, i used IfoEdit .95 to remove the region code restriction and replaced the PAL header with NTSC headers. Them Burn them onto a 4.7gb DVD+R. So far have not ran across a DVD player that will not play them"

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166720
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If If what you're about so say is not as beautiful as silence itself... Stay quiet[/small]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  7. chicagomi

chicagomi Guest

Where in IfoEdit .95 is the menu to change the PAL to NTSC? I do not see that option. I have a PAL DVD I want to convert to play in my DVD player.

8. chicagomi

chicagomi Guest

I found out how to change the pal to ntsc, you just double lick on the lines that have pal written on them and a menu opens that allows you to change it to ntsc, i did that and saved the image, i hope that is all i have to do, i am burnin the dvd now, hope it really works

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is More to a Pal and NTSC file than Headers, You can change all the NTSC headers in the world to Pal but that still doesn"t change the Video"s NTSC Properties to Pal...You can not Properly Change the Frame Rate or Resolution by switching the headers around...It might be a way of Fooling your Player into playing that Format but it doesn"t actually change the Video Properties to that Format...
    The Method shown in the Link above works But it uses Vegas Video and you end up Haveing to Encode your Source File Twice which Lowers the Final Quality....
    I suppose the easiest way would be to Useing "Canopus Procoder 1.5" to Convert the NTSC/Pal Video file to Pal/NTSC Mpeg2, But the Best Method is still to use AVISynth......