1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ucfmoe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

Does anyone know of a good program that can convert PAL to NTSC. I've been using Nero but it can take upwards of two hours to do one movie. Anybody know of anything faster?

Thank you

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

If you just looking at avi's to convert Nero does a good job. Depending on your pc specs 2 hrs may be average.

There's also ConvertXtoDVD - has a free trial though it leaves a watermark. Somewhat faster then Nero. If you try it in the settings>tv format change the video standard to NTSC from automatic.

3. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

yeh i was about to say 2 hours is actualy on the fast side, what is your output quality like? what are your system stats?

tmpgenc can only aproach an encode time that low when everything is turned all the way down.

i use CCE-SP now, it can encode a dvd in 45 min ont the lowest settings. a 4 pass VBR encode takes the same amount of time as tmpgens middle of the road settings, and the quality looks hundreds of times better than a tmpgenc encoded m2v even on its highest setting (wich would take upwards of 10 hours in some instances).

4. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

I have an Intel 3.0GHZ Pentium D with 2GB of RAM, 500GB Hard Drive. I'm converting PAL DVD to NTSC DVD, it maintains the quality of the original DVD when I convert. I guess I'll stick to Nero if 2 hours or less is pretty good.

Thanks everybody

5. binkie7

For those specs 2 hours or less would be about right. The pc that I use for this runs around 1.5 - 2 hrs w/ a little less specs.
    I think you're good - keep on the pc maintenance bit too - every little bit can help for performance - disc defrag, disc cleanup, virus scans, registry cleaner and of course cleaning out the inside of dust.

6. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

I am a fan of VOBlanker; spent the better part of yesterday burning PAL dvds into NTSC dvds. I think VOBlanker is faster than Nero. And VOBlanker is freeware.

7. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

I had no idea that VOB Blanker had the ability to do that. Could you give me some steps to show me how to do it?

Thanks

8. binkie7

@ucfmoe
    After you rip the dvd to your hard drive you just need to change the video attirb for all vts file to ntsc then process.
    Here's a screen shot - link

9. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

Awesome! Thanks so much

10. binkie7

You're welcome!
    Vobblanker will take maybe 10 mins - it works for most dvd players.
    Vobblanker will convert dvd compliant files - if you need to convert avi's - Nero would still be the way to go.

11. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

Just out of curiosity, do you know how VOB Blanker is able to do it so fast compared to other programs? Is it because its not technically converting the files to DVD format because they files are already DVD format, its just chaning the resolution?

12. binkie7

You on the right path ucfmoe - it doesn't do a true pal to ntsc like Nero - it's changes something in the files to make the dvd player think it's ntsc.
    I've seen it referred as a 'masking' method - it's what I usually call it too.
    That's why it doesn't work for all dvd players - so far I've had 1 out of 5 that it won't work on. No biggie still a high success rate and time savings!

13. soupnazi

soupnazi Member

What is the process of converting pal to ntsc with nero?
    I downloaded a dvd iso file and it automatically opens with nero burning rom.
    I tried it but it plays scrambled on my dvd player, though it does play on my computer.
    I'm not familiar with converting pal to ntsc.

thanks
    -soup-

14. binkie7

You'd need to change the iso to a mpeg format then use Nero Vision to convert it.
    Isobuster should do the trick to convert it.
    Open the iso in isobsuter then on the left hand side right click on I think track 1 and pick extract track 1 then there's an option for video only and mpeg. (don't have an iso handy to get the best directions).
    You can then open the mpeg in Vision. When you get to the last screen in Vision you'll get a pop up saying something to the effect of more PAL than NTSC, do you wish to keep this format. Click No and Vision will convert to NTSC.

15. soupnazi

soupnazi Member

I downloaded ISOBuster but when I get to extract track01 I can't the option to "Treat as Video ONLY, Extract but Filter only M2F2 MPEG video frames (*.mpeg)"
    only highlighted option is to "Extract user data"

I just downloaded the free version of ISOBuster,
    is this why?

16. binkie7

I use the free version also. I've used this method for bin files - not sure if I've tried it on iso.
    I don't have either format on a pc right now to try and run thru it.
    Under track 1 on the left hand side do you see like udf, iso etc?
    Right click on one of those (not all are available with the free version) and see if this option is available then.

I can't think of anything else right now that converts them though there must be something else.

17. soupnazi

soupnazi Member

thanks binkie7

ISO, UDF and IFO under track01
    right clicking them gives me option to extract the image or video but nothing about mpeg

-soup-

18. binkie7

I wish I had an iso or bin file around but I don't. From what I remember under one of those options (I think iso) pick extract the video. When I used bin files I want to say it gave me a .dat file that I opened in Vision and converted.