1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting protected WMV Files

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by DSMKilla, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

So whats the deal, I have these wmv files that I want to convert and have the license for them and everything but I can't find any way to convert them. I have searched everywhere for something that will do it but have not had any kinda luck. I know there's gotta be SOMETHING out there that someone has come up with so could someone please fill me and everyone else that is having this issue in please?

thanks in advance!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have been looking for a way to Convert DRM protected WMV files since the DRM came out but as of yet know one has come up with a Way to do it....

3. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Member

damn that sux. Well Im sure someone will figure out something soon or a later.. It's inevitable =)

4. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Burn them to a CD and then rip them back to your hard drive.. You will most likely lose the tag information though.. Hope this helps

Matt

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  5. surfman

surfman Guest

I tried burning them to a cd but the protection is still there. Has anyone else figured out a qay to make this work.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

DRM Protection Still hasn"t been Reliably Cracked and it has been that way for a while and Will probably be that way for quite a while longer....

The one thing you can try is to use a Screen Capture programs to Capture the File playing in media player....

7. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Burn them as a "AUDIO CD" the protection will be gone.. Then, RIP them back to the harddrive.. I assure you the protection will be gone...

Matt

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

I can assure you that it will not work as the DRM protection is imbedded in the Files Header and Simply Burning it to CD/DVD will not remove the Information from the Header and neither will copying it to your HD after Burning to CD/DVD....
    I"m sure if you tried it you will find out surely enough....

Cheers

9. shiroh

shiroh Guest

how about using avisynth and directshowsource() ?

i don't have any drm files. but lets see if i could make one.
    anyway wmv is crappy

10. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Burned all my purchased .RAX Realmedia downloads and WMA music files as a audio CD.. Ripped it back to the harddrive in Mp3.. no problem.. and no protection.. Maybe your doing something wrong.. Works great for me..

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Were they DRM 1 or DRM 2??? The Latest DRM 2 for WMV files is 100% UN-Crackable so either your Files were Protected with DRM 1 or weren"t Protected at all...

12. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Are you saying I wont be able to burn audio cd's anymore? Then rip it back to the hard drive "IF" it's protected with DRM2? Thats highly UN-likely... Especially being that audio CDs are very popular... I dont know what problems you are having but I have been using this method for years now without any trouble at all.. With the exception of losing the tag information upon converting to a audio CD.. post some link's to this super protection.. I am interested now..

Matt

13. surfman

surfman Guest

Matt,
    I tried to burn a drm wmv to an audio cd and couldn't. The drm prevented it from being copied. Which burning program are you using. I know it can be done because I see al kinds of protected videos on p2p.

14. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

The software I use to download my music files for both realmedia and musicmatch also allow for burning..One uses .RAX format the other .WMA I use these two programs and then rip them like a normal cd..

Matt

15. surfman

surfman Guest

Thanks Matt. I will try to use music match because I have already tried real player and it wouldn't burn them.
    Wish me luck,
    Rich

16. surfman

surfman Guest

Hey Matt,
    i tried to use real player to burn my vid but it wouldn't because of the drm. I haven't tried music match yet, but i will as soon as I download it.
    Rich

17. grimmie

grimmie Guest

hey Matt,

Did you try any wmv file and manage to rid the drm? I noticed you're referring to mostly wma or other drm protected audio files?

So far what I know of it's still screen capture and total record for audio (while capturing screen) to rid the drm, and then you need to have a decent cpu and video card for decent results.

-kc

18. sinistrad

sinistrad Member

OK, I have an idea on how to capture these bastards... Would it be possible to (running a dual monitor setup) use a video out from your computer as the second monitor, and have that plug into a video capture card? Then you could just have the video play on the second screen (use a vcr and tv, split the output between the tv and the capture card so you can preview the results) Of course this is a lot of work, but if someone has the means to try it out, please let me know if it works, because I'll buy a vid capture card for my laptop if it does.

19. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

20. sinistrad

sinistrad Member

Thanks a lot for that link, celtic_d!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.