1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting PS2 Games from NTSC to PAL

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Nubins, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Nubins

Nubins Member

Hi, I am a seasoned xbox dev pro, but I am reasonably new to the ps2 scene.

I have my ps2 with swap magic 3.3, and I have no problems apart from with NTSC games. I use the PAL option when booting them using swap magic, but the screen has a kind of squashed effect to it.

To this effect I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a program/tutorial on how to convert NTSC games, into PAL (assuming it is possible).

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. I apologise for probably being the 500th person to ask about this, but I did search first but I couldnt find anything, so please dont flame me.

2. okboz

okboz Regular member

The swap disc version 3.3 should recognise if the game is pal or ntsc without the need for any conversion. My disc does and i play ntsc games on my pal ps2 in color all the time, just select normal mode when the swap disc boots up. There has never been any problem so far. Hope this helps a little.

Boz

3. Nubins

Nubins Member

Well I did try that, I have GTA SA and MGS 3, and if I try and boot them in normal, they come up in black and white.

If I try and boot them in PAL mode they do work in colour, but the screen is kind of letter-boxed and it doesnt look right.

I have found a tool that can convert NTSC to PAL, and it worked on GTA SA but not on MGS 3.

4. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

doesnt work for all games especially mgs3

buy an RGB scart cable off ebay anout £5 it will display any pictur formay PAL or NTSC in colour full screen without having to adjust anything on swap magic

easy

5. steve9173

steve9173 Member

hi ive been using swap magic 3.3 for a while now n ive never had a game come up wrong if its NTSC i select NTSC mode when loading the game and if its PAL i select PAL when loading the game also ive used NTSC MGS3 and it played perfect all the way through, my ps2 is PAL,

6. okboz

okboz Regular member

Yes same here so i cant see what the problem is. it should work fine with swapmagic 3.3

Boz

7. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

do you lads have a scart lead with all 22 pins in the end? if you do its an rgb cable, what i was talking about.

8. okboz

okboz Regular member

Possibly, its the scart lead i got with my ps2 so will check it

9. lu_boy

lu_boy Guest

hi i bought a rgb scart cable but i cant find where to put it if any one knows please reply

10. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

does the tv you are trying to connect it to support scart cables? it is not present on older tv's.

if it doesnt fit in your ps2 did you buy the right one?

11. Nubins

Nubins Member

The thing that I dont understand is...I have the RGB cable but when I try and use 60hz the tv goes gray and fuzzy like my tv doesnt support it, but as far as I know all newish tv's with scart support it.

I have also used my xbox and tv out from my computer at 60hz, but on the ps2 is just refuses to work.

As far as I can gather, its something to do with the mode, as with my computer the same thing happened if I didnt change the TV output from NTSC to PAL.