1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Real Player IVR files?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by barry84, Jul 12, 2008.

1. barry84

barry84 Member

hi

id like to convert some video files i recorded from a website to my hard drive using real player 11.
    the file extenstions are .ivr,what can i use to convert them to avi's?

many thanks

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Never heard of .ivr files, and Google comes up with nothing, when searching for .ivr files.

3. barry84

barry84 Member

ya i know ive never heard of that file extension either.
    Stands for Internet Video Recording...

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The first thing that I would do is check for viruses on my computer. You may have gotten some when you downloaded. :)

5. barry84

barry84 Member

the files were downloaded from the national broadcasters website in ireland(RTE) so i dont think they are viruses.
    they were ripped while playing using real player 11

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Check with your Real Player documentation. It may be another Real Player proprietary format problem.

I had Real Player on my computer about 10 years ago. It tried to control my computer, so I dumped it, never to be seen on my computers again. It looks like nothing has changed.

7. barry84

barry84 Member

its the new version of real player,usually dont use it at all but theres been stuff i wanted to rip from a website that i previously couldnt rip,just watch.
    is there anyother software that can download/rip real video clips?

8. ghettotek

ghettotek Member

It seems as no one uses Real Player and for good reason, as I have come to find out. I personally never used the software on either mac or pc - I avoid anything that is associated with .rm or .ra files. I was warned early on. However, My roomate has Real (crappy) Player 11, and is having the same problem. IVR stands for Internet Video Recording, and it is a file type that only Real Player 11 uses. Real will try to convince you to become a premium user, like my roomate did by paying - one of it's features is "burning files to DVD" well, guess what? It doesn't work at all. It says it must decode the IVR to burn to disc, and then either stalls or quits entirely. You can't even get support from Real - in fact the very same subject on their website has no replies and 1,800 views.
    The IVR file type is impossible to find info on. And don't go trying to get a converter, none of them recognize the file type.
    Even Real can't seem to recognize the file - when it comes to burning.in fact it couldn't even locate the url that stores the files.
    However when it comes to paying for either the upgrade or recording IVR files, it seems they all recognize how to take your money.

9. ghettotek

ghettotek Member

snagged from google search on ".ivr"

Video format developed by RealNetworks for sharing video clips on the Web; may be created by using the "Record" feature in RealPlayer 11 or later; saved in a proprietary format that can only be opened with RealPlayer.

10. dean4000

dean4000 Member

Barry,

I have your same problem. .ivr Files are a "Video format developed by RealNetworks for sharing video clips on the Web; may be created by using the "Record" feature in RealPlayer 11 or later; saved in a proprietary format that can only be opened with RealPlayer."

Basically, Real converts these videos to .ivr files so that you don't use other video players except Real to view them, and so you'll pay Real for a subscription to be able to convert the files. If you actually right click on the .ivr files in your Real Library there will be an option saying "Covert Media Format..." and if you click on that it will tell you you have to upgrade to Real Player Plus in order to convert.

I've been trying to find out how to convert them all day now, I've even tried a couple of video converter programs, but so far the only two ways I've found that work are:

1. To update to Real Player Plus through the real website and then your Real Player will convert the files, but this costs money for the subscription
    2. Or burn your files to a dvd or video cd and then rip them back to your computer and they'll be in another format. The downside is that this can take more time if you want to convert a whole lot of files and you have to have disposable dvd's and cds.

Damn Corporate Machines, Good luck man!

11. barry84

barry84 Member

sweet,i'll give option 2 a go when ive a bit of time.
    much appreciated dean.

12. pbls06

pbls06 Member

I have had this problem with ivr's for a while now and the best way i found to take care of it without wasting a bunch of discs is to take your videos to this site http://www.youconvertit.com. It is absolutly free. Now it is a slow process but saves you money on cd-r's and dvd-r's. Basicaly it's worth it in the long run. Real Player will only let you put about 50 to 70 min. on a disk so if you have a file larger than that it still won't let you copy it to disk. All I can say is give it a try but trust me you have to be patient because with some files it can take a long time. Your results may vary though considering I'm on a pretty slow wireless connection. Good luck people.

13. dirkbill

dirkbill Member

www.youconvertit.com site was under construction when I last looked - Funny thing is I grabbed the Real Player 11 for Mac just to watch some ivr files and it doesn't even recognize them (?) - Whatta joke - I will try copying them to disc and bringing them back on - Thanks

14. maltagirl

maltagirl Member

hi i'm new here, i just clicked a link to add a comment hope i'm in the right forum... anyway this is about .ivr, i also have a problem with real, but i can burn to a vcd version, i read comments that dvd feature fails even when you pay for it, i'm going to pay for dvd version of real so i want to be sure before buying the subscription,, ok it is cheap (19 euro ) the most..., that's what i read on the real notice for buying the feature...but i want to get good quality items when i purchase something, vcd works, so i want to know those who had problem, with burning dvds with real, (after purchasing it) did they also have problems with the vcd version of burning ivr files. thanks in advance.

15. Ramesh

Ramesh Member

I also downloaded Indian (Hindi movies) in Real Player with .ivr & .rm files. It allows to burn VCD but one has to buy Real Player PLUS to burn DVD. Unfortunately, the Hindi movies are big files and can't fit in VCD. It take almost 3 VCDs to make one Indian movie. So it will say there is not enough space on the disc when trying to burn VCD. Now I am wondering that this movie files may be bigger than DVD5 when converted, so it means to use Double Layer Discs. I am not sure whether Real Player Plus will allow to burn on DL disc. I already made VCD with small downloaded clips. The downloaded movie files of .flv can be burned to DVD in NERO 8. I might end up buying REAL PLAYER PLUS as I have so many downloaded movies.