1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting Records (LPs)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by spiesfan, Jun 19, 2007.

1. spiesfan

spiesfan Regular member

Before I resume converting LPs to digital audio I was hoping for advice.
    My setup currently is to feed the Record Player into a amp with a preamp then through a tape output feeds into a Minidisk player out through toslink (to eliminate ground loops) through a USB sound card and into soundforge.

2. tyrantdj

tyrantdj Regular member

What advice are you looking for?

3. spiesfan

spiesfan Regular member

What improvements if any are possible to the current setup, a good way to clean up the audio or what software?

4. tyrantdj

tyrantdj Regular member

Firstly, the quality of the record player plays a big part in getting a good sound recording. Myself, I use a technic 1210mk2 turntable, connected to a Korg Kaoss pad for preamp and straight into my pci soundcard using Sony Soundforge. Everything grounded on the preamp. I never get any feedback, everything recorded at -0db (very loud) and crystal clear. I never have to apply any eq to boost any frequencies from vinyl recordings.

Ps. I use a m-audio 24/96 audiophile soundcard.

what soundcard , "recordplayer" do you use?

By reading what you are doing, there seems to be too many things in the chain, which all create noise or feedback in their own right. without knowing what areas of your recordings you want to better or having problems with I couldn't advise any alternative setups other than my own.