1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Converting Region 2 to Region 1

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by HenryCan, Jul 16, 2017.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I have three Region 2 DVDs that I'd like to convert so that they can be played on a Region 1 DVD player. I have a player that will play them but, when it eventually fails, I'd like to have a copy of the three DVDs that will play in a Region 1 player. (These titles were never released in Region 1 format and I very much doubt they ever will be.)

How do I do what I'm trying to do? I did a search within the forum but only found very old threads from 2003 and 2007; I have to assume there may be better/easier/cheaper approaches these days to accomplish the same tasks.

I run Windows 10 on my computer so I'm looking for a Windows solution.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Thank you! Simply making an MKV sounds like a workable solution. I'll have to play it on my laptop then since I'm pretty sure I can't play MKVs on my TV-connected DVD player or BluRay player. I can just connect an HDMI cable between my laptop and the TV to view it on the TV.

When using MakeMKV, do I have to play the Region 2 disks on my laptop and change the Region to 2? Or is there some way to play it on the DVD player I hacked to play all regions and then capture the output via MakeMKV running on my laptop?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Use fab (free to rip) or dvd shrink to remove the region lock.In shrink its under settings to make it region free,not sure if its required for dvd fab.
    In fab select main movie or title 1 if using dvd shrink (tut for authoring in dvd author section here at afterdawn).

once movie ripped use vidcoder to convert to mp4

5. attar

attar Senior member

Don't play the disk; if you do you will have to allow a region change setting on the burner and you are only allowed five then it becomes locked to the fifth region code.
    Just insert the dvd, run MakeMKV and let it detect the drive.