1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting software just shuts down after a cpl of minutes

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cpooley, Jun 27, 2003.

1. cpooley

cpooley Member

Whenever I attempt to convert a movie my pc either hangs after 2-3 minutes or the converting software just shuts down (again after about 2-3 minutes).
    I've tried canopus, tmpgenc and others but still the same. The software's ok as other people I know are using it with no problems.

I've tried all the suggestions i've found on the forums but no joy :(
    I've increased to 768MB of ram from 256 on the advice of a friend but no change.
    My processor is a Celeron 1.7GHz (beneath this on the system properties it says 1.96 GHz). I have checked that the bios is set to default so I can't see how it's overclocked. Oh yeah, my CPU maxs at 100% when I try to convert a movie.

I'd really appreciate some guidance, i've been sitting here tonight for over 5 hours trying to sort this and i'm at my wits end!I can't believe this isn't happening to anyone else!
    thanx in advance.

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Are you overclocking the CPU? That CPU would be getting pretty warm when the encoder takes the utilization up.

3. cpooley

cpooley Member

Someone else said this but i've gone into the bios and hit F5 (default settings) so i assume it isn't overclocked, but it does say 1.7GHz then 1.96GHz on the pc specs pop up.
    I don't know how else I can check if it's overclocked!
    Any suggestions?

4. jnihil

how about the cpu temperature? Have you tried monitoring that during the encode?

5. cpooley

cpooley Member

I have and this is where it gets a bit weird!
    the fan monitor says itshould be 1500 RPM but it's at 4011RPM when converting and approx 3200RPM at any other time. The temp goes up to 65 from 39 (the monitor says the max it should go upto is 90).

6. jnihil

So perhaps it's not heat-related.

...and when was the last time you reloaded windows? Perhaps it's a good idea to start with a freshly loaded os.

7. cpooley

cpooley Member

I had a complete re-install 2 weeks ago because of a virus. That's all clear now though. I wonder if it's the CPU maxing out at 100%?

I'm sooooo frustrated over this! I know people who just download, convert & burn without any of these hassles :(

8. jnihil

So you think the sw side is ok, yes? The CPU going to 100% is a very common thing when you're rendering video. Does your machine freeze on other apps? Perhaps you should download some of those benchmarking programs and try a burn-in of the PC. Many years ago I had an ABIT motherboard that would crash from time to time. The benchmark program I used could also cause this *on cue*, so I could move the hardware around to eliminate possibilities. Turned out that it didn't like having a certain combination of memory population in its banks, so I rearranged them and all was well after that.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

9. cpooley

cpooley Member

SOLVED! well, it seems to be :)
    A friend of my sons came to call for him and while waiting for him to get ready, he asked what site I was on (this one). After explaining my problem he rebooted my pc, went into the bios and found that it had been overclocked (no doubt when I got the IT guys at work to sort my pc a cpl of weeks ago, they took it upon themselves to do this and not tell me!)

I'd like to thank everyone on Afterdawn who has tried to help me, you're a great bunch of people!