1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting SVCD back to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Wayne_T, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

when i diddn't have a DVD burner i used to convert all the dvd's i hired to SVCD and burn them to several cd's. But now i have a dvd burner and a bunch of SVCD encoded movies on my hard drive (131.7GB). does anyone know of a program that converts SVCD files ((*.mpg) type 1 or 2) back to DVD files (*.vts) and (*.VOB). any help will be appreciated.

2. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i believe main concept mpeg encoder will work.

3. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

thanks for that.

4. ggamer

ggamer Guest

Main Concept

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

No...Don"t re-encode the Files, If you do that you will Degrade the Quality....

Read this Post and it will explain an easy way to Put SVCD Files on to DVD without re-encodeing them and you can Put up to 3 Full SVCD Movies on each DVD..

So read this:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/102581

6. sblingam

sblingam Member

Hi,

I followed the directions as per DVDlab and created 2 SVCD movies with menus. Finally I was able to complie and burn a DVD. But when I play it in my DVD player the video part was excellent. But there is no AUDIO at all what so ever.

Where do you guys think it went wrong? I did transcoded the audio to 48khz before the compilation.

I was so excited that finally I can put my SVCDs on a DVD, but still struggling.

Gurus...Any thoughts?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]lsb[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  7. Minion

Minion Senior member

It sounds Like you didn"t Drag the Audio File to the "Movie 1" Window after transcodeing it to 48000hz...

You have to drag the mpv Video file and the Mp2/Mpa audio file to the Movie window....

8. sblingam

sblingam Member

First let me thank you for responding..
    I guess I did that. Here is the process I followed.
    1. Imported the SVCD files into DVDlab. It took few minutes to import.
    2. Then as per your previous post, I got the error pop-up saying that the audio needs to be transcoded.
    3. I clicked on OK.
    4. I guess after all this process only you will have eigther video or audio files to drag in to Movie1 window. (Correct me if I am wrong)
    5. I did dragged the video and audio files.
    Also, is there anyway that I can play the video in DVDlab and listen to the sound? Right now when I do that, there is no audio at all. Only video. I thought, may be DVDlab dont have that feature. Am I right?

Thanks for you input. Please advice!

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you can do is Let DVDLab make the Video_TS folder but don"t burn it to DVD, Then Take the Video_TS Folder and Play it in PowerDVD or WinDVD and see if you can hear the audio and if you can hear the audio then you can Burn the Video_TS folder to DVD useing DVD Lab or even Nero in DVD Video mode....

You can also Try demuxing the SVCD files and Resampleing the Audio Yourself and that way you can be assured the audio is being resampled correctly and the audio is there.....

I actually allways encoded my SVCD audio Files to Dolby AC3 because of the Better Compatibility because Mpeg1 layer 2 audio isn"t actually Full DVD Compliant for NTSC DVD"s..The NTSC DVD Standard states that For NTSC DVD"s you can Not use Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio unless there is a Dolby AC3 or LPCM Audio track also Present..
    I never heard of a Player that wouldn"t Play Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio but there Might be some that don"t ...

Cheers

10. sblingam

sblingam Member

"You can also Try demuxing the SVCD files and Resampleing the Audio Yourself and that way you can be assured the audio is being resampled correctly and the audio is there.....

I actually allways encoded my SVCD audio Files to Dolby AC3 because of the Better Compatibility because Mpeg1 layer 2 audio isn"t actually Full DVD Compliant for NTSC DVD"s..The NTSC DVD Standard states that For NTSC DVD"s you can Not use Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio unless there is a Dolby AC3 or LPCM Audio track also Present..
    I never heard of a Player that wouldn"t Play Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio but there Might be some that don"t ... "

Hi,

Sorry for the dumb question.
    How and where can I Try demuxing the SVCD files and Resampleing them? U mean outside the DVDlab?
    Also you meantioned about converting the audios to Dolby AC3. Where do you do that? in DVDlab itself? Can it be done in Trancode process?

I tried to play the audio with Nero show time and hear a lot of noise. I don't know what went wrong. hhmm.....

I am kinda new here. Please help me out.
    Thx in advance!

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]lsb[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you do the Resampleing yourself outside of DVDLab....
    If you have "Tmpgenc" you can use it to De-Mux the SVCD File and resample the audio and then import the Video and resampled audio into DVDLab and make the DVD....

In Tmpgenc you would first go to "File" to "mpeg Tools" to "Simple De-Multiplex" and Load the SVCD file into it and click "Run" and in a few minutes you will have a Video and an audio file....

Then you would set the "Stream Type" in the Bottom right corner to "ES(Audio Only)" and then Load the audio file into tmpgenc....

Then click the "Setting" Button and at the Top select "Mpeg 1 Audio Layer II" and then select "48000hz" as the "Sampleing Frequency" and then set the "Bitrate" to "384kbs" and then click "OK" at the Bottom and then click the "Start" button in the Top Left and wait a few minutes and you will have a New Resampled audio file....

You then just load the Resampled audio file and the Video file into DVDLab and make your DVD out of them...
    You might want to listen to the audio file after resampleing it to make sure it sounds OK....

Cheers