1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting to MPEG4

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by katie61, May 1, 2007.

1. katie61

katie61 Member

Hello everyone, can anyone please help me.

I've bought an Archos 604 digital media player and I want to transfer a DVD (which I recorded off the TV) onto my Archos. But it says the format is not supported. I just don't know how to do it. If anyone out there knows how to do this, would you please let me know. I would be VERY grateful.

Thanks.

Katie

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does this player want an AVI, DivX or MPEg file.I guess that information would be in the manual?
    If you know how to rip the DVD to the PC hard drive you could convert it to to the format required..on the other hand you could open the dvd on the PC and look for the biggest file, click on it and see if that plays ok.
    If you find the right file just copy it to your desktop then proceed from there.

3. katie61

katie61 Member

Thanks for replying Attar.

It says in the manual 'play a large number of video files including MPEG-4, WMV, protected WMV'.

I admit I'm not very technical but I can follow instructions, though I think I'm a bit out of my depth here!!

Katie

4. attar

attar Senior member

Dr DivX (DVD to AVI), this program needs to have the video content from the disk available on the hard drive, then it is a simple matter to have it convert the video to a DivX file (MPEG4) which you copy to your device.
    http://download.divx.com/labs/DrDivX20OSS.exe
    Can you get the contents of the disk on to your desktop?
    My Computer > Right click on the drive containing the disk, click 'open' and look for a folder named 'Video_TS'.

5. katie61

katie61 Member

Attar

I've put the contents of the disc onto the desktop.

When I try to drag to the converter it says "please make sure the input video is supported input for the DivX converter". I'm baffled!!!

Katie

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. katie61

katie61 Member

Hello Attar

I'm getting the screen you're talking about, but when I drag the VOB file to the converter it says 'The DivX converter cannot encode files with variable frame rates. Please make sure all input files contain a constant frame rate'.

Still baffled.

Katie

8. attar

attar Senior member

Is the DivX codec installed?
    You should be able to see it, click Start > All Programs and see if 'DivX' is listed.
    If not, it must be installed.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DivX6.htm

If it is already installed and the problem persists, I would uninstall DR Divx and try another path.

9. katie61

katie61 Member

Attar

The DivX coder is installed.

Unfortunately it still doesn't appear to be working. I will contact Archos and see if they can help.

Thanks anyway

Katie