1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting to VCD (kinda)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by SprkFade, Jun 13, 2002.

1. SprkFade

SprkFade Member

Ok, I've recently ripped a few DVD and I have done that without error. But when I go to convert them into VCDs I run into a small problem. Normally VCDs are set at 352 x 240 resolution but I changed that to 720 x 480 (Typical DVD resolution) Everthing converts just fine but when I goto view the movie there are strange lines and distortion on objects when they move. I'm just trying to figure out if there is some setting to change that will fix this problem. I'm using TMPGENC to convert to VCDs. So if you have any idea why this is happening or you have a way to fix it please email me at SprkFade@aol.com or just post it here. Thanks.

2. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

you answered your own question...standard vcd HAS to be set at 352x240..the only thing you can tweak is the bitrates.such as up the video rate and lower the audio rate...you could make an "svcd" if your standalone supports it...they are 480x480.but can only fit about 30 mins on 1 disc.

3. SprkFade

SprkFade Member

But the thing is it all plays fine. Besides the strange lines that appear when there is motion. Shouldn't it be able to work since it is a DVD player im playing the VCD on, so it shouldn't have any trouble supporting 720x480 resolutions? And why do those strange lines appear?

4. chinbo

chinbo Member

check out clonead. he has a good tutorial on tmpge with the lines you are describing