1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting torrents and putting them onto Dvds...

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Walty87, May 6, 2007.

1. Walty87

Walty87 Member

Hello,
    Firstly I want to apologize if this question has been asked a million times, Ive been trying to figure this out all day and couldnt so I thought Id post my own question.

So Im new to downloading torrents and burning and things like that. I have downloaded several torrent videos which I cannot play on my computer using Windows Media Player or anything like that. I believe they are in XviD codec(?). I have downloaded ConvertXtoDVD and Media coder, but am having problems. Everytime I try using these files it says the program or whatever Im running doesnt recognize them or something I dont know.

Basically I dont know what Im doing. I have to decrypt these XviD files? And then I need to change their type to something that I can burn onto a DVD-R? What free programs can I use to do this. I know alot of people download torrents and then put them on dvds so I know it can be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially in a compete laymen's terms!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Download GSpot
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip
    Drag one of the downloaded files on to it and find out what kind of file you are dealing with.
    It should tell you the codecs used to build the video and let you know if those codecs are present on your PC.

[​IMG]

3. attar

attar Senior member

Double post again.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  4. Walty87

Walty87 Member

[​IMG]

So it says the codecs are not installed...
    Whats the next step?

5. Walty87

Walty87 Member

So I tried 'rendering' the video and audio with the buttons at the bottom and the audio worked and let me get to 3 and test it, but it said there was an error with the video. Is there something wrong with this particular file?

On other files, if you get both the video and the audio to work, what do you do next?

6. attar

attar Senior member

Probably nothing wrong with the video.
    Install the XVID codec and try again.

The first stable at the top of the page.
    http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

Once it's working ok and you wish to convert it to DVD, try this.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe

Import the file(s) (AVI, MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)
    Use Nero burning ROM to burn the files to DVD.
    Alternatively, burn with freeware, DVD Shrink + DVD Decrypter.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. Walty87

Walty87 Member

Wow. Great thanks! I think Im on the right path. I am currently converting using divxtodvd. I have a Nero program, but do you want to burn it as a dvd or as a data disc?

8. Walty87

Walty87 Member

Also, is there a way that I can set it up so that each individual file (or episode) could be selected individually on the menu?

9. attar

attar Senior member

If you use Nero Vision 4 (or Nerovision Express)one of the steps is to add chapters, which will do this.
    In this case you would 'Make DVD' > 'DVD Video' > 'Add Video Files'.
    Open the folder with the files and select VTS_01_1.VOB, then VTS_01_2.VOB etc.

If your DVD player could play DIVX files, then you could simply burn the original .AVI file to a DVD as a data disk. (no conversion step).
    In this case you have a DVD file compilation which requires to be burned as a DVD Video.

When all the files are imported you will see three buttons lower left.
    The top one is red.The centre button is used to merge the files into one.(else you will have a menu with one selection for each VOB).

note, insert a blank disk into the drive before starting Nero, else the disk will burn at maximum, which you don't want.Burn at 4X on Verbatim (Says the Nero Forum at afterdawn) or on any media which is 'Made in Japan'