1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Xvid to Divx

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by machy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. machy

machy Member

I have looked in the guides section but I cant find a guide for converting Xvid to Divx. Is there any guides for this?

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

machy: Whats the point of converting XViD to DiVX? XviD probably delivers better quality anyhow from what i've seen.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Simple. Change the fourCC from XVID to DX50 or simply mux to mp4 in which there are no fourCC's MPEG4 video is simply MPEG4 video.

If you mean that you have an XviD file that won't work on your standalone. Well it is possible for instance to create a DivX encode that won't work on some standalones. It is also possible to create an XviD encode that will work on all.

4. machy

machy Member

Well I want to convert it to Divx to play it on my standalone player which It doesn't support Xvid.
    I have tried that conversion Celtic mentions by Virtualdub, but the sound doesnt fit the pictures. And once in a while there is a blur in the movie.
    I there a simple appz that can convert it with easy steps?

5. jmallx

jmallx Member

For people like me, I have a Norcent DP-220 DVD set top DVD player that ONLY supports the Divx codec. So converting Xvid to Divx is a must for me if I want to watch it on the big screen.

6. Artimus20

Artimus20 Member

if you can get your hands on Dr. DivX, this program converts Xvid to DivX very easy.

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If it only supports DivX then as I said it just means a FourCC change. If you encode with XviD and the DXN Home Theatre profile, then change the fourCC to DX50, it should play every bit as well as a DivX HT encode.

8. machy

machy Member

[bold]jmallx[/bold].... how do you convert xvid to divx??

9. jmallx

jmallx Member

I used Dr. Divx and it will do a 2 pass encode.
    Takes about 4 hrs for a 1.5-2 hr movie on my AthlonXP 1600+ with 512 MB.
    Over an hr I think for a 25 min anime episode.

At first I converted it with Virtualdub and the quality was horrible and there was jumping between every frame.

With Dr. Divx it works just fine.

I'm really digging my Norcent DP200 (or 220) settop DVD player with Divx certification, only $50 at buy.com Now I can watch Naruto on the big screen.

10. MrWiggly

MrWiggly Member

Any standalone player that can play DivX will also play XviD.

It's Qpel and GMC that they don't like.

11. jmallx

jmallx Member

Any standalone player that can play DivX will also play XviD.

It's Qpel and GMC that they don't like.

Mr. Wiggily I have no idea what Qpel and GMC are.
    However, I did try to play Xvids on my Norcent DP220
    http://www.norcent.net/main/product_detail.asp?prodID=6
    and the first few seconds of the Xvid file will play and then the player will just stop. If I hit play again same thing, a few seconds of audio and video and then nothing. So I have to convert it to Divx format with Dr. Divx

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Actually a lot handle qpel and plenty handle GMC as long as it is only 1 warp point.

XviD only uses 2 or 3 warp point GMC where as DivX always uses 1. Thing is there is a reason why XviD doesn't do GMC when only 1 reference is found and that is because 1 warp point GMC is basically useless.

13. efranc65

efranc65 Guest

Hi,

Same problem here. Xvid encoded file won't play on standalone. Actually, it will, but the picture isn't right.

I've tried changing the fourCC, as suggested, to DX50, but it didn't work. I used the AVI FourCC code changer. BTW, it gives me two fields: "FourCC description code" and "FourCC Used Code". Should I just enter DX50 in both fields?

14. eggoeater

eggoeater Member

15. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i know.
    get a modded xbox.
    or cross your finger for a chipset that will support xvid, which is unlikely...

16. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

shiroh, that is one kick ass thing about Xbox whatever ive thrown at it, it plays it perfectly. Which i cant say for PS2 :-(. Hopefully with time itll come upto Xbox standards :-D

17. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I have 150+ backup AVIs on my 160GB SATA (it's getting full) and they are all DivX.
    But I know Doom9 likes Koepi's XviD as much or better...
    These standalone players should support MPEG4 if they're going to play AVIs, they should play AVIs!
    But I am sure there is a way (like celtic_d says) to encode with XviD and ensure maximum cross-platform playback compatibility.
    If there is a way to tailor these XviDs to playback on DivX machines, they must be made this way originally.
    Converting (recoding) them with GordianKnot or Dr.DivX (ugh) should be considered only as a last resort...
    Regards

18. shiroh

shiroh Guest

@Dude2099
    that's because xbox is really like a PC, and the software is really well develop.
    if you want to go one step ahead, there's a mod to change the cpu with a celeron 1.4Ghz. doubling its default power.
    neat huh. there's also pre modded ones, if you want to check it out. really good for HDTV playback.

as for ps2, haven't heard much as in development term

@The_OGS
    koepi's build is faster for athlon cpu.

as in encoding with xvid for playback on standalone.
    if it got qpel and gmc, i think reencode is the only way.

19. jmallx

jmallx Member

Is it possible to use AutoGK to re-encode Xvid to Divx5 ?

The only program that I have gotten to work with re-encoding xvid to divx is Dr. Divx. If I use Vdub I get a lot of stuttering and blocky frames.

Any suggestions?

20. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes.
    But it is like converting OGG or WMA to MP3 - kind of silly & pointless (except you, unfortunately, have a reason for it).
    Make sure to use DivX 5.2.1 (SP2-compatible).
    I bet Koepi is aware of this and XviD will morph into something more compatible with standalones.
    Also the standalones should broaden their support for MPEG4 and not support just the proprietary DivX format!
    L8R