1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Xvid to Divx

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by machy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jmallx

jmallx Member

Ok, when I try and use AutoGK on a Xvid encoded avi file (Naruto anime) I have to do a *.* to get avi files to show up as AutoGK defaults to Mpeg2 files. Once I double click on the avi file I get an "unsupported file type!" message. How do I get AutoGK to re-encode Xvid to Divx?

Thanks for your time.

Is it possible to use AutoGK to re-encode Xvid to Divx5?

Yes.
    But it is like converting OGG or WMA to MP3 - kind of silly & pointless (except you, unfortunately, have a reason for it).
    Make sure to use DivX 5.2.1 (SP2-compatible).
    I bet Koepi is aware of this and XviD will morph into something more compatible with standalones.
    Also the standalones should broaden their support for MPEG4 and not support just the proprietary DivX format!
    L8R

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi jmallx,
    I use GordianKnot (the more-manual version of AutoGK) and know that either version of GK will offer to open an AVI as source file.
    If you have the latest DivX 5.2.1 including generic MPEG4 support installed, it should just open your AVI...? but never tried it meself, dunno the specifics ;^(
    If you have codecs installed that you would need to have made the XviD AVI (both audio and video), GK should not complain like that.
    You can use GSpot to ID the codecs used to make your XviD.
    I would suggest installing FFDShow, also GordianKnot (regular), reboot then see if GK will open the XviD as source file.
    It's a tricky business but you will figure out how to make it work...
    Regards

3. bg10721

bg10721 Member

>Any standalone player that can play DivX will also play XviD.

It's Qpel and GMC that they don't like.>

Probably true. Should then the most efficient solution be to convert XviD to XviD but with modified QPel and GMC to make it work?

However, I am not certain how to do it easy.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you stick with the DXN profiles in XviD then it should work just as well as a DivX encoded file. Remember if a player doesn't support qpel then it is also possible to create DivX files that won't playback.

Also it isn't about XviD support, it is about ASP MPEG-4 support. qpel and 3 warp point GMC are part of ASP specs and XviD is not the only encoder to make use of them.

5. rruwalton

rruwalton Guest

I have a Skyworth divx player and although it plays 90% of files, I use MPEG4 Modifier to check files before burning them to dvd. Some need to be altered and that where I use MPEG Modifier to adjust the file and save it.

All the info is here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MPEG4_Modifier

Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005
  6. Forbidden

Forbidden Member

Yeah I know that XVID has problems on some DivX players, my friend cant play them on his. What boggles my mind is that on the Doom9 site they love the XVID codec so much better than DIVX. They say its faster and better quality. Im using the 5.2.1 DivX codec and its almost the exact same speed as XVID. Im sticking with DivX for compatability like when I need to convert movies to my cell phone or PSP when I get one. The XBOX is the key to having the best media center on the block. I use AutoGK and backup all my movies to 1gb files (except super long ones, then I go to 2gb). Running in 720p is nice too.
    8)

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

XviD is just as compatible if you want it to be. You just have to limit what ASP features you use. As for PSP's, from what I understand they only support SP anyway and SP MPEG4 in an mp4 container is SP MPEG4, doesn't matter if it is XviD, DivX, QuickTime or whatever it is all the same. None of the mess with FourCC's that you get when using avi as a container.

What CPU do you have? Because doom9 has an AMD 64. If you have a P4 with HT then the gap between DivX and XviD is probably smaller.

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I have been using DivX for years, but recently switched to XviD.
    When you encode, there are settings to select. If you want maximum playback compatibility, this becomes a major factor in your settings...
    Exactly :^)
    The problem is if you guys have XviDs that you didn't make.
    The person making them has clearly not given compatibility the proper consideration.
    This is an oversimplification of a complex issue - one XviD might, while another might not.
    @ Celtic_d
    Could somebody create a short, definitive guide to making mainstream MPEG4-compatible XviDs?
    It would be fairly straightforward, as the XviD settings are not overly complex... I believe there is 1 'tragic mistake' setting that is disqualifying these XviDs from playing.
    Can this be clearly identified once & for all...?

9. bg10721

bg10721 Member

thanks for pointing to mpeg modifier.

What parameters exactly need to be modified to make a file fully compatible with your particular player.

I think many people are looking for the list of "offensive" parameters that could make XviD file unplayable on many stand-alones.

and on how to modify them!!

thanks agian,

-bg

10. rruwalton

rruwalton Guest

Using the MPEG Modifier I am able to play movies that were jerky nice and smoothly :)

All the information is in the link I posted.

11. rruwalton

rruwalton Guest

http://www.videohelp.com/toolsimages/mpeg4_modifier_680.jpg

Open up mpeg4 modifier - chose a film via the browse button.

After browsing and selecting a film the program will scan through the film.

If after checking the film you see the screen above with the unpack box unticked and under the userdata a box containing a DIVX code ending with a p then you need to unpack the film.

If the code ends with a p - click on the actual line with your cursor and select edit - under the box.

All you need do then is change the p to n and then place a tick in the unpack box - then just chose to save the file. I always use the film name followed by UP.avi - when saved I know the file has then been unpacked.

My cheapy divx player loves these files.

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Except on a few rare occasions XviD has always been MPEG4 compliant. For full compatibility with the standards though use mp4box to remux your XviD avi to mp4. Reason I suggest mp4box is that it can handle bframes fine including packed ones.

Now for standalone compatibility (which has nothing to do with MPEG-4), use the DXN HT (DivX Networks Home Theatre) profile. This way settings like qpel and GMC are disabled and VBV is enabled. I also did some builds with some custome MTK profiles, including 6mbit NTSC/PAL ones as the theory was that some MTK players can handle the extra bitrate fine. No need for MPEG4 modifer if you use them either as packed bitstream is auto disabled if you set more than one consecutive bframe.