1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Xvid to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by WolfSled, Dec 24, 2004.

1. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

hello, my dvd looks great on the pc, but looks horrendous on DVD player. the frames bounce, as if bad vcr tracking problem symptom if it were a vcr.

method used
    used an XVid rip
    WinAvi
    IFO Edit
    NERO Burn
    Please help.

I dont want another frisbee.

The sound is perfect, and the video for a split second looks stable as soon as i hit stop on the dvd player, btu when its playing, its constantly rolling, out of horizontal sync, bouncing, or how ever you want to describe it. basically i have to watch the picture as it goes from top to bottom atleast twice per second.

sylvania dvd player-(cheapie)

thanks in advance.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

what type of video file is this you are trying to convert?

3. akuma96

akuma96 Member

you need to use dvd Decrypter and dvd shrink then nero if you are ripping a dvd

4. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

i used Xvid rip, that i didnt rip, so no control over that aspect.

it shows up as pal 25fps widescreen, which i believe is 16x9

and i am not ripping a dvd akuma, it was already ripped. any suggestions?

5. akuma96

akuma96 Member

did try a dvdhelp.com

6. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

are you referring me to someone? thats help? not sure what you mean...

7. tenplus1

tenplus1 Member

If it plays OK on your pc then maybe it could be the dvd media being used... sometimes dvd players are a little specific when it comes to media, especially the cheap ones...

You could try and download the Ulead MovieFactory 3.5 trial from their site and give that a go for burning xvid's direct to dvd... Works well for me...

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Definitely sounds like a media issue.What media and how fast are you burning?

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

sorry, i missed those in your signature,get rid of those cmags and try some mcc,ricohjpn,ty,or mxl-rgo2. Or try slowing down those cmags as slow as you can.

10. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

ok, i burned it at 2x, where the media is 4x

i think i may have found the problem, check this link out, my dvd player is the drl120rb, states no dvr playback. could this be the prob? or do oyu still think its the media?
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...ountry=US&orderby=Name&hits=25&Submit2=Search

one thing worth mentioning, is i see the video come in right when i hit the stop button on the dvd player, just for a split second, very odd, but maybe thats a clue that the dvd player is having the problem?
    this really sucks because i dont have another dvd player to test them on before i give a few away to my family as xmas presents! heehee.

i also heard of a media checker program, will this help in this case? maybe i can run a software checker taht will tell me if it will play ok in a compatible dvd player?

gosh, hope the families dvd players are better than mine!

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

From looking at the specs you linked to, I would say that player was made for store bought dvds ONLY as you stated.
    I don't think there is much you can do to help the playback.

Jerry

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You can't go by what it says,every burner and player is different.Your stand alone is trying to play it. If it wouldn't play your burned backups at all,then you would have got a type of "no disc inserted".Since it is having problems like freezing,pixelling,skips,jumping,no disc inserted,and bookoos of other stuff,but plays perfect on the pc,poor media is usually the cause.The stand alones magnify the problems of poor media. Especially on c-mags.A higher quality media should solve this.It doesn't matter if you have a high dollar player or a cheapie,many people here recommending the cheap cyberhome player as playing everything.I play my backups on many different stand alones for my friends,myself,and family. Some of their players just won't burn a certain type of disc,I put them on a different disc and problems are solved.I know nero has a testing tool to scan your blank dvd.Try some maxell's,tdk,sony,or fuji in a small pack and report back.Happy holidays to all of AD!!!!!!!!!

13. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

How right you are, I just have been working on another dvd, and it works in the player, HEE HAWW, my first! so do you think its in the rip maybe of the divx?

1st one, that doesnt work, its a pal divx,
    2nd one that works, claims to be KVCD-Video CD

the 2nd one works using the WINAVI method, then burning with nero, the 1st one didnt work, using the same method.

the only thing i think i changed on the 2nd method is i checked the 'soften' on WINAVI.

SO could it still be the media since the 1st is MUCH higher quality? or could it be the ripping? I dont know how they were ripped.

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

saugmon, I'm sorry you don't agree with what I said, but they don't write those charts just to waste time. The only media his player MAY play is +R and its greyed out with a question mark which means it probably won't work either. All other types are crossed out. Videohelp.com is pretty reliable on their tests.

Jerry

15. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

ya, but the dvd-r is working! on the 2nd movie, read my last post, but the 1st movie i am still waiting to see your opinions before i try to burn it again. im hoping i will get enough of an answer tonight that i might try it.

i do know that the dvd-r is working on my player, contrary to what was posted on that website. So, maybe the website is still right, meaning that only some movies will work, therefore, not reliable, or maybe the website is wrong and it was the decrypting process that caused the problem.

any suggestions what i should do with the divx to get it onto disk?

the first method i tried, on the first movie, may well work, but it takes 44 hrs using TMPENG then i IFOedited it. but the aspect ratio was wrong, so i scrapped it before burning it. I just dont have the time to reduplicate that method before tomorrow but will try it in the future and play with the settings until I DO get the aspect ration right, then maybe if burnt will work properly. The 2nd method i tried was with winAVI which took care of the whole authoring process straight from the DIVX file in 1.5 hrs, the aspect ration was proper, so i burnt it. That is the one that didnt play.

Now, the 2nd movie, it wasnt a DIVX, it was the KVCD, i used WINAVI which authored it stright from the kvcd file(not sure excactly what the kvcd file is yet but assuming it is of lesser quality than avi or dvd, just nor sure where it fits between the vcd and svcd) and burnt it to disk, and it plays fine.

So, the problem in my opinion could be a couple things,

1-could it be that the winiavi handles the kvcd and not the xvid assuming the xvid was decrypted in a way that [bold]clashes with winavi[/bold]?

2-could it be that the xvid, because of its higher qualilty(bandwidth?)lead to surpass the limitations of the [bold]cheap media[/bold] leading the xvid not to play(in the dvd player) but allowing the lesser quality kvcd to play ok(in the dvd player)?

3-could it be that the website is right in the way that my [bold]dvd player is not reliable enough[/bold] to handle proper Xvid converted DVD's properly and able to handle lesseer quality kvcd's converted to dvd.

i assume it is one of the three.

please someone with experience in these areas give some input on those 3 scenarios so i can better troubleshoot my problems.

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey wolf,glad to see you got that 2nd one to play. I don't know about the different programs,they say when it is dvd burning,files are files. I just saw the thread and looked like the classic symptoms of poor media.cmags,you just can't trust.Some of your backups may play,some of them may not. The higher quality media will help reduce errors in both burning and playing. I stick with the mcc,mxl-rgo2,and ricohjpn's and have no playback issues. The media change would be a cheaper way of trying to fix it than going out and buying a new player that may give you the same trouble. Happy Holidays

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey wolf,you beat me on that last post, 44 hrs to do a dvd,holy moly.I haven't messed with xvid, but taking that much time on your process,definitely stick with the high quality media,maybe even ty's.When it comes to specs,can't believe everything you read. Someone else will have to explain the differences between the different processes and possibility of clashes. I am just a dvd shrink and nero guy,lol Have a merry christmas

18. Willmatic

Willmatic Guest

Have you tried converting the Xvid from PAL to NTSC before re-encoding to dvd?

19. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's sort of what I was wondering. You mention that the first DVD is from a PAL source, but you didn't mention (or I didn't notice) whether you're trying to play it on PAL or NTSC equipment. If you're not sure the general rule of thumb is that if you're not in North America, Central America, or Japan you have PAL (and likely NTSC compatible) playback equipment. If you are in one of those places you should have NTSC (and likely not PAL compatible) equipment. If you have an AVI you want to convert from PAL to NTSC it's usually pretty easy to do (unlike converting an original DVD which can get quite complicated). In fact as long as the original material is from a film source I usually prefer PAL Divx/Xvid for making NTSC DVDs because they typically have a vertical resolution closer to an NTSC TV. Many times they use the exact vertical resolution required so the only resizing involved is horizontal.

20. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

Ya thanks for the info saugmon, i think your right, and yes, 44hrs just TMPENG'n it, which demux's(demultiplex) it.

VURBAL, i think you hit the nail on the head. Im in North America, and yes we use NTSC. i wasnt aware that i needed to convert it, but that may explain why the dvd player wont frame lock, and explainis that frame locking is the problem. its at 25fps and we need 29+ right?

That would definetely explain why it would play on pc but not on dvd player, where the NTSC movie would play!!!!! BIG SMILES! Thankyou much. p.s., the audio worked find on the dvd player, even further explaining it.

i will look into the settings on winavi, i just done have the time to use tempeng although i believe it would be better quality.

So, assuming all this, should i try to take that PAL XVid and use my WINAVI program, and choose ntsc as the output?

Merry Christmas, im watching the pope on TV right now, feel awkward doing chores(fun chores although) during Christ-Mas. but, hey, were in the gift giving generation, so gotta get this working, lol.

Thanks again.