1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Xvid to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by WolfSled, Dec 24, 2004.

1. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

Oh, one other option, i also saved my Demuxed files form TMPENG(what the heck is this program really called anyway).

i have the m2v and the mpeg.. big oops, i deleted them...

well anyway, just for future, can i convert the pal to ntsc using IFO edit author or would i have needed to do it in the TMPENG?

just to clarify, i wont be taking the method, i will try the winavi which takes the files straight from Xvid to vob's (encode and author all at once) if possible.

2. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

Merry Christmas All!

Ok, the latest stats, i used winavi's selected output target as ntsc, so i have the vob's in a folder.

then i burned the dvd using nero, and it still came out jumpy.

then i grabbeddvd shrink to see what all the hype was about, and sure enough, it fixed the problem, i reauthored the vobs that winavi made, because dvd shrink apparently wont grab the original avi file.

So SUCCESS, in part. the dvd plays!! Hee Hawww.

Now, problem #2, the dvd is a widescreen, and maybe its one of those that is very wide, not sure of teh exact aspect but thought it was a 16x9. but, isnt there a 2x somehting that is even more extreme? So, the DVD plays, and looks like its in letter box mode, but still cuts off 1/3 of the picture atleast(1/6 on each end) approx.

i looked in the dvd shrink settings to see if there was a problem in there, and cant find anything other than a "custom" video setting and i assume that is only for video size, not aspect. So, could it be that the DVD is originally not 16x9 but the 2xsomething...? and something didnt properly keep that aspect? or is this a known problem. So far i have 3 frisbees, and one cutoff movie! haha.

And now im wondering, and will check if the succesful movie i had done(movie number 2) also is cut off and i may have not noticed. more on that later. I realize everyone should be having a good christmas this time of day! I am all alone, and looking forward to visiting my family this evening, and hope to make a good backup copy of my personal(lol) movie dvd as a present for the king of the family! its a very important gift, and giving me a hard time!

a good learning experience. i have spent 1 week on learning this art, and there is ALOT to it. we all knew that though, especially the newbs. for the advanced, they dont think its so difficult im sure, the world is starting to shrink a little for me now too luckily.

3. warpcore

warpcore Guest

First if you have a pal 25 fps movie and want to play it on usa ntsc system you have to convert it
    to 29.9 fps ntsc system
    tempgenc encoder can do that for you.
    or even better nerovision 3 can do that to.
    just make sure you have the latest xvid codec.
    then load nerovision3 add the xvid movie.
    set system to ntsc.
    and it will encode the movie to ntsc and your problems are over for sure.
    this did work for me and play on 99.9% of the dvd players i tested it on including 34 cheapy ones

4. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Hey Wolfsled i noticed u said u used tmpge then ifo edit right? I've had the same problem when converting xvid to dvd in tmpge the picture is bouncing and the frames roll and all that other crap it does. I just simply use winavi convertor not one coaster yet ! , Cyberlink power director express is also another good program and simple to use also, and another thing when u used ifo edit did u use the dvd author function? i ve had trouble out of it , instead try this have tmpge output 1 mpg file from ur avi or xvid or whatever, the use tmpge dvd author too convert this to a dvd stream but make ur settings in tmpge encoder match those needed for dvd author , this solved my problems with tmpge.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you want to do it correctly that's not exactly true. A better method would be to use AviSynth to slow the video down to 23.976fps (which is how it's supposed to be encoded for NTSC if it's from a film source) and then use a program like Pulldown or DoPulldown to add pulldown flags. Pulldown flags make the MPEG decoder read certain fields twice, turning 23.976fps progressive into 29.97fps interlaced.