1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertX to DVD

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Peach1468, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for my problem . . . but here goes. I ripped a copy of a movie using DVDCloner IV so that I could edit it using MPEG Video Wizard DVD. After editing, I then exported it to my HD. I originally used Nero to burn, but noticed that it sometimes has iffy replay. I recently discovered ConvertX to DVD and really liked the picture quality, so I decided to try to use CXD instead.

Okay, so again:
    1. Ripped using DVD Cloner IV
    2. Edited using MPEG Video Wizard DVD
    3. Exported from MPEG VW onto HD.
    4. Used CXD to Convert the exported MPEG file.
    5. *Here's my pcoblem. When trying to burn the newly-converted MPEG file, the program stops when the burning process begins. It says it's burning, but shows no progress. The file is 4.03Gb (using a 4.7 disc). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sheryl

2. unolord

unolord Regular member

I use ConvertX quite a bit and never had a problem burning. What version of ConvertX r u using? 2.1.10.208 is the most recent one. Do u get an error message or does it just stop?

Is there a specific reason why you're ripping then converting the movie? If you're trying to get rid of the extras and such I'd rip the movie with DVDFabDecrypter or DVD Decrypter (if it's an old flick) and then use Nero Recode to delete the stuff u don't want. The picture quality would be better. Just a suggestion...

3. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

1. Well . . . I just noticed that the video quality seemed to be better with CXD than with Nero, so that's why I'm doing that.
    2. I have version 2.1.8.191 of ConvertX. Where can I get the updated version?
    3. No error message -- just stops; progress bar shows no more progress for extended period of time, which then causes me to abort the process.

A few more questions (if you don't mind):
    When you say "Get rid of the extras," or "Delete the stuff you don't want" using Nero Recode, what are you referring to? I use MPEG Video Wizard DVD to delete scenes & language to make movies family friendly, so that's the only "taking out" I do. Not sure what you mean . . .

I already purchased DVDCloner, so that's what I generally use to remove the macrovision/rip (I think that's the right term) the movie. Initially I think I'd installed DVDFab (I was trying to do everything for free), & for whatever reason it didn't work on my computer. I tried and tried for days with multiple frustrations and multiple programs. I finally gave in, paid the $40 for DVDCloner IV and haven't had a problem since.

Maybe I'm repeating steps that I don't realize aren't necessary as far as ripping, recoding, etc. Wouldn't surprise me. Understanding the terms above will help a lot to know what I'm doing. =)

4. unolord

unolord Regular member

Ah, your use of Video Wizard makes more sense.

I use slysoft.com's anydvd which is roughly the same price as DVD clonerto remove the copy protection because it's updated frequently then rip the dvd using dvddecrypter which is a free prog.

I'll use Nero Recode to remove additional languages or deleted scenes/making of docs. Never used it to edit out inappropriate moments in a movie. Not sure if it can do that...

I've never personally used Video Wizard DVD but does it have a setting to create dvd compliant vob files so you can then just burn with Nero or does it only create a standard mpeg file. The website says DVD authoring. You might be able to skip the converting of the mpeg using CXD...

The newest version of convertx is here: http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

5. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

It might have a setting to make them VOB files; I'm not sure. What's the difference between the VOB & the mpeg formats? Does VOB make a difference in it being more compliant when played on dvd players? The copies I've already burned were created as mpeg, and some were burned with Nero.

I have two DVD players; the DVDs skip repeatedly in the Daweoo, but play seamlessly in the Sanyo (both models claim to play DVD-R & RW media). Would exporting as or converting them into VOB files likely eliminate this issue?

Nero does burn mpeg files ~ I just found the picture was a bit better with ConvertX. Video Wizard is currently exporting them as standard mpeg files, which I guess is the default setting. I just exported them at the default setting because I don't know the difference or advantages/disadvantages between the two. Can you shed any light??