1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convertx2DVD speed increase with faster computer?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by bratcher, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

If I upgrade to a Intel core 2 (quad) processor q26600 with 3 gigs of memory will Convertx2DVD encode any faster than it does with my single core 1.7ghz & 512MB of ram? If so then how much faster would it do it? 4 hours of avi & mpg files took 5 hours to encode then burn a DVD on my current machine with frame rates from 14 to 20 fps. I'm not complaining about current encoding speed as it's faster than what Nerovision will do while converting files.

If you wonder why I'm asking well I'm planning to build a new computer to replace my current one.....

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

bratcher,
    It will significantly accelerate your encoding and burning at the same time, no dout about that. How much? I don't have concrete numbers for you. Five hours sound long-drawn-out though! A 700MB AVI file would probably encode anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. This is if you have CX2DVD set to High quality/slow encoding. You can also opt to encode faster if you get a little too intolerant. Also, keep in mind, the slower you encode, the better the quality of the output.

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Well the 5 hours it took to encode & burn was for close to 4 hours of video on my current machine. I had HQ/slow encoding turned on for best quality & got 2600 to 3000 kb/s per file for a DVD5 disc. Playback quality for the 4 B westerns was very acceptable although I might try 3 hours of westerns & see how the video turns out with the higher bit rate which also depends on the quality of the original file. Thanks for your reply. I'll go build my quad core lightning fast computer now....

4. lapinou

lapinou Member

ConvertXtoDVD version 3 is definitly optimized for Quad Core, you should see a +45% in the encoding time
    I can reach 140fps with my Quad 6600 with some files.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've a Quad core and i use ConvertXtoDVD version 2; my times have improved, from an hour to about half or less, depending on the movie.
    I have no interest in upgrading to version 3 as i'm happy with those times. I batch encode many films whenever i get chance and don't mess with any speed/quality settings, i just use the default. Good thing about the Quad core is you can run DVD Flick at the same time, and DVD Rebuilder too!.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

He'll be able to significantly accelerate burning? I doubt that.

The size of the file is not relevant... only the running time matters.

7. permatex

permatex Regular member

try 1 click dvd movie,picture quality is about the same as convertxtodvd,the difference is start to finish about twenty miutes.the faster the cpu the faster the encode and burn also keep in mind that other programs running in the background tend to slow the process.