1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertXToDVD audio encoding vs others - could someone shed some light?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jetsetter, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

so i encoded and burnt 3 copies of the same movie (Divx) to test the results and here is what i found.. wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

1) The Film Machine + CCE (4-pass) + Aften (set to 384 kbps) = superior video, mediocre audio (loud and muffled)

2) The Film Machine + CCE (4-pass) + Sonic Foundry Soft Encode (set to 384 kbps) = superior video, somewhat good audio (still loud, flat sounding)

3) ConvertXToDVD (set to high quality/slow encoding) = very good video, good audio (not LOUD or muffled).

can anyone please share some details of how ConvertXToDVD encodes audio? while its not mind-blowing its the most reasonable that i have experienced thus far, and closest to the original. unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) i have come to notice the superiority of using CCE as the video encoder so i would like to stick with that as opposed to just using ConvertX altogether. its just the audio that is giving me trouble(definitely a first!). should i try the first two methods again but perhaps decrease or increase the audio bitrate from 384 kbps?? any different methods altogether that i should try? im assuming that it must be a simple tweak on my part that will make the audio sound less loud and muffled and more like ConvertX (no matter which encoder i choose). after all Sonic Foundry Soft Encode is a damn commercial encoder which should be the best sounding one! anyway i'd appreciate any suggestions that you guys may have :)

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You didn't note what sound source you started with. What did you end up with channel wise, for your 3 examples.

3. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

heh, im not even sure. would you mind sharing how to locate that information?

4. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

bump. anyone know some details of how ConvertX encodes audio?

5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

I have no idea what encoder they use, but if the output sound is not loud enough, just raise it a few db in the settings.

3db - 4db or 5db MAX, should help raise the sound on low volume outputs.