1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertXtoDVD: How many *quality* movies on one DVD?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by humansare, Jan 31, 2007.

1. humansare

humansare Member

ConvertXtoDVD is a wonderful program. I am very happy with it.

I have one question. I have searched the archives and found some possible answers to it, but they were not clear to me.

So here is my question.

I use ConvertXtoDVD on public domain movie files I download.

These files are typically 700-800 MB in size (sometimes bigger).

The movies typically run 60-90 minutes. Sometimes (not usually) longer.

I want to get MAXIMUM IMAGE AND SOUND QUALITY. That is my major consideration.

Can I put two on a typical 4.7 GB DVD -- with as much quality as if I just had one? (I use Taiyo Yuden.)

Remember, I don't want to compromise quality at all. I'd rather put just one movie per blank DVD if putting two would mean any loss of quality.

However, if two (or even three) could fit WITHOUT COMPROMISING QUALITY at all, I'd rather do that.

What's the best guess on this? What are the guidelines? I realize there is probably more involved in this than size of file and length of movie.

A definite answer would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Fiji5555

Fiji5555 Member

Are these files you download avi's? (Divx,Xvid format) If so then they will always be larger when converted to DVD format files. I would just try burning two movies to one disc to see if the results are up to your own standards. Two movies that are one hour each in length MIGHT look okay but I would only do one per disc if they are closer to an hour and a half in length. Also the quality of the original file (How much compression they used to convert it to the AVI file) will come into play also. If it wasn't converted properly then no matter what you do, you won't be able to get a good copy to DVD. Sometimes you just have to experiment and waste a couple of blank DVD's to find out. =]

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

why waist any disks! get an rewritable disk and experiment.... this way if you need to erase you won't waist anything! I recommend the Sony DVD+RW disk. they code out to RICOHJPN and it's a great rewritable. I have 25 of these but I hardly use any of them.... just in case I have a project.... the project never came up..... but it's nice to know that I have them available to do any job that might come along.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. humansare

humansare Member

THANKS for these useful replies. Much appreciated! They both seem right on the money.

I also posted this question to another CONVERTXTODVD forum, and the moderator gave this reply, which I'll post here in case it's of any interest. It pretty much confirms what you have said, above:

===================================
    There is no definite answer, as you said, it depends on many aspects.
    Screen size, AR, packing ratio, amount and quality of audio tracks, amount of subtitles and finally type of movie.
    In most cases you can fit two to one DVD5.
    Only real way to try is to convert first one movie, then check file size of converted folder. Then convert second one and check size.
    If sum of those two fits to one DVD5, then they fit with no loss of quality.
    Of course you have to reconvert those two (or use DVDShrink to combine them with no menu) to get proper menu.

===============================

Thanks again for your help with this question.