1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertXtoDVD - Looks OK but...

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by whftherb, Jan 27, 2007.

1. whftherb

whftherb Member

Hello.

Am using VSO's neat little package "ConvertXtoDVD" on an XP-Pro machine with a Lite-On 165H6S burner. Firmware is up-to-date. Anyway, VSO's prog goes through the conversion of an AVI-to-DVD and encodes the AVI-material with no errors showing in the status window. But when it comes to do the burn, I'm stumped. ConvertXtoDVD ends with a "Burn Successful" panel (click OK), no notification of any problems in the status window. Unfortunately the disk will not play in any of my three DVD players. I'm using two different brands of DVD+Rs - Staples store brand and HP +Rs - both rated at 16X. I use the lowest burn setting in VSO (4x).

I'm used to getting a few burn errors with other software that I've used and understand that on occassion these things fail due to faulty media more than likely. But, if there were disk or burn errors, I'd expect ConvertXtoDVD to let me know. But first it "lies" :) and then it doesn't probide any information on what may have gone wrong. So, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has seen this behavior? And what, if anything, did you do to get around it?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

don't blame the software, it's the media. Using crappy media is the culprit for the DVD not playing in your stand alone DVD players. Read this:

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

ConvertXToDVD is a great program and hardly has things wrong with it. Also consider the AVI that you are converting. Sometimes downloading AVIs get corrupt. Even though the conversion is successful using a program like ConvertXToDVD doesn't mean a workable DVD was recorded. More than likely it's the media you are using.. then consider the AVI itself... but as far as the software..... make sure it's the latest version of ConvertXToDVD (2.1.10.209 and I think there is a BETA version out that is newer than this version). good luck.

3. whftherb

whftherb Member

OK, very good. I get it. Bottom line - this is not as precise a science as one would like.

And, so how did I get around this? I'm now using a spindle of Staples store brand DVD R/Ws!!! Yes! These record fine all the way up to 16x (!) and play perfectly in all three players with nary a whimper. Menus, chapters, sound in synch, the whole nine yards. Why the other more expensive ones don't work.... See my third sentence above. I see lots of good reviews on Taiyo-Yuden here too. Need to try those.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Maybe someone else will be helped by this thread too.

4. b_rad

b_rad Member

after using divxtodvd. burn it with clonedvd. i never have any probs and allways buy cheap crappy disks from discount shops especially if you are experimenting with new software. i agree to burning at slower speeds reccommended i think if you rush the job it could affect youre outcome as well as making youre computer think too hard during the burn process. make the best of youre processor without lagging it down. i only have 1.8ghz amd 3400+ processor that can be very slow but i allways burn good copies no matter what the media.
    good luck

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@b_rad...... I'm very happy that you found a method that works for you and plays in all your players...... what brand and manufacturer's ID code are your blank DVDs? if you are using crappy media....... you will eventually have a coaster, or it will eventually become unreadable. using quality media will stop headaches before they happen. Most members agree that you start with quality media and then if you get problems down the road you can eliminate the media as your culprit! I learned that after a year of burning with second rate media and came upon a problem that using first rate media solved! Just food for thought.