1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COOLING FAN PLUG WON'T FIT IN HO 7900 MOTHERBOARD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oldkraut48, Nov 17, 2015.

1. oldkraut48

oldkraut48 Member

My HP 7900 computer's case fan started making noises at time and I purchased a new case fan to replace it. The problem I'm having is when I went to change it, the plug on the new unit, although being a 4 pin like the old one has a narrower slot on top of the plug than the HP plug and will not fit! Is this some stunt that HP pulls to force you to buy replacement parts from them ? If so, does anyone out there make an adapter for this situation? Or does any of you have a way around this problem ?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do the 4 pins of the new fan plug match spacings with the motherboard connector?

3. oldkraut48

oldkraut48 Member

They appear to match pretty close to what the old one is, with the exception of the mentioned slot. Had the thought that I might take a dremel tool and sand the slot on the new plug flat. What do you think?

4. ddp

that was what I was thinking but using an utility knife.

5. attar

attar Senior member

If it was me, I would match the new wires to the old plug, cut, slide some heat shrinkies on and solder.

ps355528 likes this.
  6. ddp

I wouldn't as just more work. just put a mark were the new location of the key is so don't put the plug in reverse.

7. attar

attar Senior member

I thrive on work: I'm capable, resilient, inspired, efficient and off my medication.

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

That's my method also.. some of my cases are like Frankensteins monster.. almost every wire has been changed at some point.. especially those with Dell mobos fitted at some time

It's when you get to having split cables with "options" that life gets fun..;)