1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copied a dvd using dvdxcopy plays on pc but not on dvd player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by and, Feb 15, 2003.

1. and

and Member

i recently copied exit wounds using a hp dvd writer 200i. i used dvd x copy to do this the movie plays on my pc but wont play on my panasonic dvd home theater system. i tried a dvd+rw disc that wouldnt play so i tried a dvd+r disc and that wont play either. please help

2. commwiz

commwiz Guest

First try it on a 2nd dvd player, a newer model that specifies that it plays dvd -R media. I had to buy a new unit.

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

4. bluecap

bluecap Member

I found this problem with one film and after a lot of head scratching I discovered my film was now in NTSC format rather than PAL (MPEG 2). Put the information up on the screen when viewing in Power DVD. See if it says MPEG 1 or MPEG 2. MPEG 1 may well turn out to be NTSC.Hope that's helpful ?

5. xgasman

xgasman Member

MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 have nothing to do whether it's NTSC or PAL. Those are the TV standards that are used in their particular regions. MPEG-1 is what VCD are recorded at. MPEG-2 is what DVD is recorded at. They have to do with the resolution of the frames that make up the video or movie. MPEG-1 is like half the resolution of MPEG-2.

6. bluecap

bluecap Member

I'm sorry to have to correct you but your reference to PAL and NTSC is not quite correct.
    PAL ( Phase Alternate Line) is the tv standard of Britain, 625/50 Hz. 25fps., used in much of Western Europe with subcarrier variations from country to country, developed originally in Germany. NTSC, 60 hz./ 525 lines, is the poorer standard used in the USA and ridiculed often as meaning, Never Twice The Same Colour because it is unstable and uses a tint control. Both are primarily concerned with the colour decoding of the signal and nothing to do with the resolution which is something else altogether. Resolution is the number of pixels ( picture cells) in the detail of a picture. More for high resolution, less for low resolution, similar to dots per inch in a printout. Seen the detail in a small digi photo go blocky when you enlarge it ?
    A DVD in NTSC mode is in Mpeg 1. I know I have one ! Pal DVD's are in Mpeg 2. Mpeg is an anacronym relating to the compression / encoding of the picture information data, i.e. Moving Picture Experts Group. Mpeg 1 or Mpeg 2 can not be separated as being one for DVD and one for VCD. It is more complicated than that and both cases can be burnt into DVD or VCD formats.