1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copied disc problems.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by paul5619, Nov 24, 2004.

1. paul5619

paul5619 Member

is there anyone who can finally put me out of my misery.with all your help i think (hope) ive mastered copying my dvds with decrypter,dvd2one and nero.
    again with all the advice ive received im using verbatim media and they seem to going great.
    the only problem i have now is my copies dont work in one of my stand alone dvd players although they are perfect in my other player.
    you would assume from this it is the dvd player right,
    but why then when i borrow copies from a friend do they play fine?
    the media we both use are -r so i know thats not the problem although he uses ritek, but i ive also tried these with no success.
    any advise appreciated as im about to throw this player out of the window (but it was expensive a few years ago).

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The older players are very picky about what they play. It could be just a slight difference between the 2 burner drives (yours & your friends)and how the disc was burned. Are you using stick on labels by chance?? If so remove them or try one without the label. Maybe see if there is a firmware update for your burner. These are all just suggestions. Don't know how much help they will be.

Jerry

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey paul5619, 1 easy thing you can try is different media. I also use verbatim, but I use +. I have 4x and 8x. My step son can't play my 4x verbatims "they look cheaper"but he can play the 8x in his playstation 2. I usually burn at 4x.Just something simple you can try.I am not sure what speed you record, but the 8x verbatim plays in my friends and family's players a lot better.I know the 8x's are branded. The verbatim 4x's aren't. You could also clean the new discs right before you burn them. Just a couple things you can try, maybe even different burn speeds? Its like your stand alone may have to need a "special recipe" if you get my drift. Hope this may help, later

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

what kind of burner do you have?

what kind of standalone dvd player is giving you trouble?

what is the other media you are using besides the ritek?

My first suggestion would be reduce burn speed to see if that makes a difference.

5. paul5619

paul5619 Member

thanks for the advice but ive tried just about everything mentioned.
    lots of different media (just about everything)
    different burn speeds (usually stick to 4x).
    the burner i use is built into my pc tower but i cant see who its made by.when i burn with nero it says
    d:dvdrw ide1008 (dont know if that means anything)

also to jerry746....whats a firmware update and how do i go about this.........

anymore for anymore appreciated as always.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

First download this free program. It will tell you a bunch of information about your drive and also blank media.
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com.

Then go to this site and type in the model of your drive that dvdinfopro gave you. Read as much info as you can on firmware and how to install and upgrade it. Firmware is a small set of software instructions loaded onto a chip on the burner drive. Tells it how and what to burn. Newer versions usually improve the overall operation. Here is a firmware site.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

Good luck.
    Jerry

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey paul5619, can you easily get into your tower. The sides should slide off, Take out the screws holding the dvd drive in the bay, slide it out drive.You shouldn't have to unplug any cables unless they are too short. You should find a model # on the back of it. Thats how I found mine, no paper work with my tower just like you.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You should not have to take the PC apart except as a last resort. DVDinfopro will give you the drive name, model number, and firmware version without going inside in most cases.

Jerry

9. paul5619

paul5619 Member

thanx all
    have updated firmware but still no go with the troublesome dvd player................
    something i forgot to mention is the guys whos copies do work are done on stand alone external machines and not pc tower.
    could this make a difference?
    please someone.................................

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey paul5619, Your issue sounds more like Your standalone will not read the burn from your pc. 1:you and your friend are burning both - formats. 2: you are both burning about the same media,ritek.3: your friend's burner is a stand alone. That there just hit the bullseye.Same exact thing happened to me. Pc burns played ok in pc,sony stand alone,cyberhome stand alone dvd recorder, however not in my Apex. I took care of that problem but it will be a little nuisance for you unless you and your buddy are pretty close. Take your dvd backups from your pc. Have him reburn them from his standalone to another -disc.I usually put 2 on a disc. After you shrunk the original ,the copyright is gone so the stand alone will have no problem playing them. Then take the discs back from him or her and replay them back into the player with the playing issue. That is the only way I can watch my pc burns in the bedroom where the apex is at.I have a theory so check this out if you can. Please report back Good luck.

11. paul5619

paul5619 Member

saugmon
    think your bang-on mate.........
    now your mention it i have decoded and shrunk original films for him on my pc and when he burned copies from that they played fine.
    why is this though....do stand alone burners burn a better copy.....would like to know as if this is the case im gona get one.
    or is there anything i can do to my pc to rectify this problem?
    advise if you can but thanks for the help anyway....

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey paul5619, I am glad to hear that worked. We are both in the same boat on that one. You problematic standalone will not read the <Put it this way>? signature of the burn?. Only the gurus here can answer that. What ever I try, I can't get my cheap apex to burn pc backup discs,diff software,discs speeds,media. It will not read it, its not compatable. so the player is your trouble, If you get a new one, make sure it is capable of playing most formats. My sony dvp-ns325 that i purchased in april at walmart, says it will play"just because it says it will play don't mean it will" DVD,dvd+r/dvd-r/dvd+rw/Dvd-rw/cd/cd-r/cd-rw/mp3/. If you can find one that plays those formats, it will help ya in the end. I had compatability issue on stand alone Burner. Had a bunch of movies on +rw,no way to play them, got that sony, that baby plays everything. Now i am into pc burning, I am sure glad i got the sony, plays everything. Just a bit of advice to you or anyone reading. If you buy a new dvd player and it won't play your backups fine,but they play perfectly in the drive of what burned them, then take it back for another one. A million things can vary from player to player like my apex won't play but my buddies apex will play everything. It's all over the place in these forum rooms. A dual format player will help on many issues. That is my theory and have a happy turkey day. gobble gobble