1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copied dvd with shrink will not be recognised by laptop

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by aj14, Nov 23, 2004.

1. aj14

aj14 Member

I have been copying dvds for some time with the same mediaand always had good results which will thenplay on my laptop and dvd player, however recently dvd rewriter will now not recognise that a copied dvd is even in the drive whereas normal pre recorded dvds will be recognised and read, please advise anyone...

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Can you provide a little more info please..
    Laptop _____
    DVD Media _____
    Burner ______
    These would all help, but if you are using everything the same (most importantly the media) then I would tend to lean towards its the drive in the laptop as these do just seem to quit working as they are supposed to a lot. Thats why I hate Laptops!! I have 3 Laptops and something is wrong with 2 of them. Anyway i work on computers for a living and the biggest thing that goes wrong with laptops is the drives, CD ROM, DVD-R/RW, and HDD. Now on the other hand if you changed something and arent telling us then this could be the problem also? let us know. I would venture to say though if the disk's play fine in everything else, but the laptop... Well you can figure out the rest. LOL

Good Luck :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  3. aj14

aj14 Member

acer 1356 dvd media datasafe x4 pioneer dvd-rw dvr k12ra

the only thing that i have changed recently is updating my xp to service pack 2 but that is all. power dvd will play normal dvds but copiedone will work only every now and then.. cheers

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I’m not to sure about that media. Do you have disk Detector if you could run it threw that program or Nero Info tool with one of those blank disk’s in the drive it tell's us the manufacturer of the disk. If you were to get a good quality media this could solve your problem. I have also heard horror stories from people on here after loading SP2. They just formatted there drive and reloaded XP without SP2 and all there problems were solved. I have SP2 and haven’t ran into any trouble yet though) knock on wood) I wouldn’t think it is SP2 though if everything else reads the disk fine. I am still leaning towards it being the drive itself or just try high quality media, You will find debates all over in AD about which media is best, but I swear buy Taiyo Yuden a little more expensive but well worth the price..

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

5. aj14

aj14 Member

you got me thinking i have put a blank datasafe disk in the drive and that is recognised no problem so its obviously in the burning process, what do you think.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Aj,
    It could be, but you stated that you had no problems before? What process are you using to back up your DVD’s? Will the DVD Rom in the laptop recognize a data DVD burned on these same disks? Just a few questions that could help me better understand your problem. Will the Drive still read back up’s that you recorded before (the disk’s you stated worked fine before)? If it will read your older copies that you say worked fine before then it is either a burning problem or media problem. Do me a favor when you have that blank disk in the drive run Nero info tool you could also use DVD ID located here http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ This will tell us exactly what type of media we are working with.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving All