1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copies wont work in my dvd player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wcj, Dec 19, 2004.

1. wcj

wcj Member

i have been using dvd shrink for 3 or 4 months
    and every dvd i copied worked.but i had a windows
    problem and had to install windows again.i was running
    windows me but now i use 2000.now every dvd i copy
    works great in my two computers and the xbox and the play station 2.but will not work in my dvd player.
    i have a apex dvd player. would anyone know what might
    be the problem

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi wcj, welcome to aD,

Data is Data, files are files So when you rip and encode a DVD, if it is being burned onto a disc then those discs will all be the same as those before them.

Changing your PC's OS system won't make a hill of beans difference.

Something else changed. The type of discs you are using would be my first guess. Followed by a problem with your player. Try a laser lens cleaner disc to see if that would help.

Pretty much that is all it could be -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  3. CheapBum

CheapBum Member

There are 2 different types of DVD's DVD+R and DVD-R. DVD-R's work in all DVD players, whereas DVD+R is not as flexable (only works in certian systems). Look at your box of DVD's and see if that might be the problem. Let me know if this helps

4. wcj

wcj Member

thanks for your help.i have tried a lens cleaner
    and the player plays all the old ones i copied but still wont play the new ones .my player locks up.but
    these copys will play in my computer,xbox,play station'
    and these are copied on the same dvd-r maxell that i have been using.if it was my player why would it play the old ones and not the new ones .so i copied the rundown that i had copied before the old copy played the new one didnt .weird right.but it also played in my computer etc. thanks

5. wcj

wcj Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  6. CheapBum

CheapBum Member

When you burn the DVD's on DvD shrink, it gives you the option of removing the 'Region Setting'. DVD players usually only play 'region 1' (in US/Can) You may have changed something when switching computers.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

While that statement was true over a year and 1/2 ago it is not even close today.

Machines that are 1, 1/2 years or older may have had problems, standalone players of today will play a dirty dinner disc.

HOWEVER,

The vast majority of Maxell discs are made by OptoDisc and CMC, most unsatisfactory companies producing poor quality media. Maxell +R discs on the other hand are made by RIOCH and therefore of good quality.

I would suggest a media change to see what happens - A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

Cheers and SEASON'S GREETINGS,

Pete

8. yoopergal

yoopergal Member

I'm a newbie and burned my first dvd. I used DVD Ripper, then DVD2One, then nero to burn. Plays on the computer but will not play on a stand alone DVD player. Could this be the quality of the DVD? I used Maxwell DVD-R? I just read that they are junky.
    Thanks for any help.

Sorry if I posted this incorrectly. I'll catch on fast, I promise.

9. CheapBum

CheapBum Member

sorry for trying

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there CheapBum,

Don't take it so personally. I corrected you because there are pple who read these forums and I didn't want them to get any mis-information. Learn from it. You'll know the correct answer the next time. Everyone doesn't know everything, Lord knows I surely don't. I've been corrected so many times in forum I've lost count. You need to develop a thicker skin and to learn that we all are supposed to learn from our mistakes.

Research before you post. I've "clicked" on the "search" button so many times my PC automatically goes there before I answer a question (Lol)

Hang around, read some and then post, everyone is welcome -

Pete

yoopergal,

That would be my guess. Try some different media AND dial your "Target size" back from the default of 4460MB to about 4360MB ("Custom") and see if that doesn't straighten it out. Also, you may wish to trim so more of the movie off so it doesn't have to be compressed s much :)

SEASON'S GREETINGS,

Pete

11. yoopergal

yoopergal Member

Thanks Pete,

I'll try your suggestions. I'm not sure about trimming more movie. This was my first burn and I followed a tut someone wrote me. It has me choosing the cluster of files that have the same number. ex: VTS_xx_0.IFO. I chose all the files with the same xx plus the VIDEO_TS.IFO, BUP, & VOB. There's gotta be an easier way. LOL.

Happy Holidays

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

yoopergal,

I'm quite sure there is :)

Try the guide (there are 3 in all) that's the 3rd and last guide. That's a guide setup for editing.

The first is for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter doing a Full backup, that's for everything on the disc.

The second is for DVD Shrink and Nero doing a Full backup, that's for everything on the disc.

The third is for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter doing an edited backup, that's just the movie.

Let me know how you like my guides :)

Happy Holidays from my house to yours -

Pete

13. WolfSled

WolfSled Guest

Hello All, first post!
    Ok, i used TMEng to Demux a XVid DVD rip, but after 44 hours of decoding, the friggen aspect ration was wrong, so i tried win avi because im running out of time till XMAS. Win AVI did it right in 1.5 hrs. Then i used IFO edit to encode to vob's, then Nero to burn to DVD-r, (see my signature) dvd works fine on pc, but in DVD PLAYER horizontal sync is out, and looks like the infamous VCR tracking problem. Audio is Bitchen! Where did i go wrong? My FIRST FRISBEE! or is it. could it be my cheapo sylvania DVD/CD player with dts(no model# on front) Thanks, and hope to hear form someone soon. its almost xmas.

Im thinking its the winavi becaue of reading some previous posts, but cant seem to find that info that i read using search, so had to become an official member! feels good! WhatUp!

14. yoopergal

yoopergal Member

Hi Pete,

Just wanted to let you know my copied DVD's are working fine in my new DVD player. I guess it was just the players I was trying it in. I bought a cheap emerson DVD/VCR Player and was surprised to find that my very first burn worked fine. LOL

Oh yeah, the guides are great and it's easier then the method I was using previously- thanks,

Robin

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Anytime Robin, I told you there was an easier way, isn't it good to trust someone sometimes ?

It's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around to some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there - OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central" and pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your computer work a bit easier -
    (NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. He's booked up until June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then, Sea Ya - - - Pete :D)

BTW, Happy New Year