1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping a dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by anumbnut75, Mar 5, 2015.

1. anumbnut75

anumbnut75 Newbie

Hi all,

I would like to make copies of my DVD's that are copy protected ~ On my old vista pc I used nero & dvdshrink. I now use windows 8.1 What program or programs would work?

Thanks!!!

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Don't they still work install them & try.
    dvdshrink should still be able to be used to do any editing once dvd is ripped as later dvd's will have newer protection
    vob blanker use to edit videos excellent for cutting & rejoining

anydvd -use to rip dvd's shrink can't it never fails
    dvdfab v8 or v9 free to rip always but the rest of the functions are trial,personally i no longer use them even tho i bought v8,they're just buggy crap & constantly crash on win vista & 7

edit:forgot to mention some video drivers can affect vob blanker so video editing window won't play the work around is use device manager & disable video driver if you need to,then re-enable when finished no restart required,the computer will use fall back video driver

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I use 8 more than 9. 9 requires you to be connected to the internet. I stopped using 9 over a year ago. I don't back up something that can't be backed up with 8. I use a 'throw-way computer to access the internet and have limited applications on that computer. I have never had a problem with 8. Surprisingly, shrink or Ripit4me will handle most new DVDs these days. The patent has probably expired for early encryption techniques. Since you can't really protect you may as well get free. It will prevent a causal user from copying a disk. Most users are into streaming. They have limited choices compared to a large video library.

I run legacy applications on a legacy computer. I have many expensive tools that don't even run on 7. Most do but some don't. I have a large house so I can keep a few serviceable dinosaurs.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mez, those expensive tools, have you tried running them on 32bit win7?

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

why didn't you just say your a hoarder :p

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  6. ddp

I know I am & hopefully will be doing something about it soon..

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It was directed at mez hence the quote box

8. ddp

I know but still applies to me.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes, guilty as charged. In the cyber world where you can buy space for as little as $25 a t b I can indulge. I guess I am not alone. After almost losing all my data to malware I store my data differently. I discovered most disks were too complicated for low level recovery. Now I only use 2t disks for videos and backup files. Documents and pics are stored on .5 t disks. Bigger files on 1 t disks. I will buy some archival grade disks. Not gold topped but silver topped good for 50 years. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy dual layer or Blu Ray s.

DDP,
    No I haven't even though I have that OS. I see the main advantage of 7 is 64 bit not the interface.

I have a business maintaining legacy systems. There is n't much call for it these days. Still i keep the code application s and databases on hds.

10. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

seem to have lost one of my backup installer disks.. have a friend still running XP.. can't find a download of Fab v6 .. or even 5.. anywhere.. later ones refuse to run on xp.. something to do with stupid .net 4.x dependency.. and that's not an option..

anybody help a girl out here?

11. ddp

why is that not an option?

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Not sure if the site can be trusted,i got a warning from the browser would pay to download it with anything other than xp..lol..to be fair i get warnings when visiting kickass torrents,just for research purposes you understand hehehe.

It is v6 not sure why there's a 7 at the end of link
    http://www.oldapps.com/de/dvdfab.php?old_dvdfab=7

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    ps355528 likes this.
  13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

because there isn't a .net4.x for xp .. highest is 3.5 .. and fab has a hard wired 4.x dependency.. plus always on internet requirement.. something my broke pal doesn't have.. hence the need to copy dvd's.... kinda stuck with xp with old hardware.. plus.. well.. linux dvd ripping is way beyond them.. I tried to teach.. but y'know.. the point and click generation ;)

Ta for the link.. I'll shove it on my stick and see if it wants to play on their junkheap..

14. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yup.. works a treat.. got that warning too.. it's a nonsense browser warning thanks to firefox.. no stress at all with Midori.. lmfao.... so now my neighbour is a very happy bunny.. looks like his kids will be getting dvd's for xmas :D

his xp dependency is due to pay&go mobile internet.. even I can't get his stupid dongle thingy to work on any flavour of linux or bsd !! .. he does make superb coffee as well :D :D

as for "legacy" apps.. time for another dose of A Train.. brilliant old skool dos gaming :)

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Don't forget about dvdshrink & menu shrink.dvdshrinks great for trimming the front & end crap of a movie allowing for a better vid after compression.MenuShrink if they insist on dvd 8 to dvd5 is able to remove the animation of menu's removing anything from 0-800mb

16. Mez

Mez Active member

Very few movies can't be copied with shrink these days. I only watch backups I have no patience to deal with adds and menus. Many disks will not allow you to go straight to the menu.

17. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Hello ps355528. Are you still needing older version dvdfab?

18. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I got it thanks.. funny I can't find my disk with all that antique stuff on.. Neighbour is happy..

Little note about shrink.. it's never been able to handle those multi menu anime disks.. they need to be taken apart and remastered to work properly