1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy 2 short DVDs to 1 DVD and keep both menus

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bigdm, Dec 19, 2004.

1. bigdm

bigdm Member

I posted a similar post a few weeks back and got feedback to look at Nero NVE. I have read the NVE tutorial guide on Nero website and determine that it will not allow me to keep both DVD menus and extras, only the main titles. If this is incorrect please tell me how I can keep all features of both DVDs.
    These are children movies that have a duration time of 30 minutes. I want to have the option to choose either movie at the beginning and from there go to a selected chapter. These features already exist on the original DVDs but I don't want to waste putting 30 minute movies on 1 DVD. I have 10 to 15 of these type movies therefore I would like to avoid using up too many slots in my DVD changer.
    Can anyone recommend freeware or a reasonably priced software I can use.
    Thanks, bigdm

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

What you can do is to create a menu page for each individual movie with Nero. For example, put the different chapters (and/or extras) of movie A on Menu page 1, and the different chapters of movie B on Menu page 2. That way when you press 1 on Menu page 1, chapter 1 of movie A would be played. If you want to go to movie B, just change to Menu page 2. At there, press 1 would give you chapter 1 of movie B. It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
    If you like, you can create a background using some still pictures from movie A for Menu page 1 etc.. That way it feels more like what you have in mind.
    Why not give it a try and maybe come up with more creative ideas yourself?

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can keep the original menus if you use DVDReMake Pro. It has a merge feature that will add an extra menu to the beginning of the DVD to select which one you want to play. After you make your selection the regular menus from that disc will appear.

I'm also moving this thread to the Advanced forum. As you're finding out this is definitely an advanced topic.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  4. bigdm

bigdm Member

I do have several questions regarding DVDRemake.
    1. I have NERO6. Do I import this into recode to burn?
    2. How do I reauthor the 1st menu?
    3. The guide on DRM mentions right clicking on an image and deleting it but when that feature is grayed out am I suppose to select hide to get rid of portions of the movie that I do not want.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can keep everything in DVD Shrink also

6. vurbal

DVDReMake will output DVD files that are ready to burn (assuming they're small enough). If the files need compressed or need languages/subtitles removed it will require another program like Recode or Shrink. DRM also doesn't burn discs so you'll need to use somthing like Nero for that.
    I'm not sure I understand the question. DRM adds an extra menu to the beginning that's just for selecting which movie (original disc) you want to watch. Make sure you're looking at the Pro version and use Merge Disks from the Tools menu.
    It's been a while since I wrote the guide so I don't remember exactly how things are worded, but things are removed by hiding blocks. Let me know if you need any more help.

7. vurbal

You can't keep functional menus if you're joining discs.