1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy a copy with x copy plat rf

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by insbruck1, Mar 3, 2004.

1. insbruck1

insbruck1 Member

ok before i start i don't know if i am allowed to say what i am about to if not i am sorry

To the point i have both versions of x copy plat the ripper version and the rf version. Will x copy rf copy an x copy film copied in ripper version, or will i need to rip it first with a third part application if so which do you recommend?

Many thanks for your time
    and apologies if i've said things that can't be posted here as i'm new here

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there insbruck1,
    What you said is fine by me :)

Whether it is a ripper version or a ripper-free version, when you make a backup with DVD XCopy it has an anti-copy addition in it's program that I believe you'll have trouble trying to copy.

What you should do is download DVD Shrink (Free) and a 30-day free trial of Nero 6.

Let's go over the programs - -> DVD Shrink 3.1.7 Beta 4
    It's FREE, can do almost everything you could wish in as few as 3 steps - It will rip your movies (gets rid of that “pesky” copy write protection thingy ;-) in generally 1 to 3 minutes. It can be used for your smaller DVD-5’s (<4.36GB) and it also allows you to compress your larger DVD-9's (>4.36GB) to the necessary 4.36GB in order to insure a nice burn without encroaching onto the very edge of your DVD disc. The finished product is sure to please with no significant loss of video or audio quality.
    “But wait there’s more –“
    For those who like the backups “Their way” (a US colloquium, referring to a hamburger from Burger King) it also allows you to tailor your DVD’s however you wish. To keep in or remove foreign audio streams, menus, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Himalayan Yak language, Director’s comments, extras and trailers, all that is required is to click and drag a line (re-author), it couldn’t be easier.

It’s your choice, backup your full DVD or parts of it or, just the movie by itself PLUS, if you have Nero somewhere on your PC, it will work behind the scenes hooking up with Nero and then burning your files to your blank DVD “automatically” while backing up everything to your Hard Drive and there it provides you with a nice, neat VIDEO_TS folder for you, perfect to have Nero burn for you at some later time.

(Now it’s time to mix in the second and last part ;-)
    Nero 6.0, the above mentioned software that will allow DVDShrink to burn your DVD “automatically”, be aware that it is also an excellent software program with a lot of extras you are sure to use in the near future.

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –

Shrink download - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    Shrink Guide -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

To get you going with that “automatic writing” thingie that DVDShrink is capable of doing for you, may I offer you Nero. I suggest you download the guide in case you wish to use it for the many other things Nero is capable of doing for you :)

A 30-day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

A Great Nero, step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

Theses are great programs, extremely easy to use -
    Give it a quick try, you'll have a perfect burn this afternoon, really –

HINT:
    When using DVDShrink ver. 3.1.7 Beta 4

Before I start, I create a folder on my Desktop (i.e. All DVD Work) in that, I create a sub-folder with my movie’s name on it (i.e. All DVD Work/Pirates of the Caribbean) that’s where I put my work, where I can always find it later.

When using DVDShrink, after inserting your DVD, open Shrink, click “Open Disk”. Then, “Select DVD Drive” and click “OK”. After Shrink has opened your disc, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 ½ minutes you’ll see the size of the disc at the bar at the top of the page. If you have a Green bar with a little Gray at the top of the page, go to the next paragraph:) If you see some “Red”, simply check off those files you don’t want, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Himalayan Yak language, Director’s commentary or extra audio files – I keep ACS 2ch or ACS 5.1, that will give you stereo, most of the rest you can trash. Only do that if you need to lose some stuff to make it fit. You can also gain more room by clicking “Custom Ratio” and increasing the compression.

Personally, I compress until I see about 1/8 of an inch of Gray at the end of my Green bar - that way I’m not writing to the very edge of my DVD disc. - Remember, more compression, a tiny bit less on the picture quality – when I say “less quality” I’m speaking of theoretically less, nothing you can really see with the naked eye for the most part.

With that being done, let’s make sure that the box which says “Full Disk” is depressed (No need to cheer it up, it likes being depressed :). When you are ready to go, - -> click “Backup”. When the Backup box opens, under “Target Device” make sure your DVD Burner is listed in the window. Under “Target folder”, make sure the folder you made at the beginning with the movie’s name is there (that way you can always go back and burn another copy in the future). Now click “OK”.
    Last step: “STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER !” Clear your throat and yell, “Burn Baby Burn ! ” “Let me hear you say it, Who’s your Daddy Now ???” Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, molest nor fondle the keyboard. “GO AWAY !” Ms. Computer will let you know when she is finished, to approach her before then may be a hazardous to your health -

Enjoy your backup,
    “Pete”

Ohh yea, Welcome to the Club :D)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I take it no one here likes 'paid for' rippers?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NNNaaaaaahhhhhhh, We be cheap Sob's here - lol

Pete

BTW, if you just need a single copy of the copy and not a copy that you'd never have a problem ever copying -

(re-reading that, my old brain gets muddled - yea, it's right)

Ya just need a single copy of your XCopy - just use Nero disc to disc copy-- should work - giving you the exact copy of your XCopy -

Back to it - Ya want a great copy - read my BIG post, he, he

Pete

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Paid for rippers vs Free (similiar advantages)

DVD XCopy------------------------ DVD Shrink
    AnyDVD--------------------------- DVD43
    DVDFab----------------------------Decrypter
    DVD2One---------------------------DVD Shrink

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  6. ispy

ispy Regular member

Insbruck1; Just copy your copy with Nero Recode 2,you can even edit it to get rid of bits you dont like,ie warning screens etc from stuff you burnt before using the great 321 Gone program. Ispy

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The ripper version will rip as intended, the non-ripper version will only rip non CSS titles.

Remember, just because someone paid for something, doesn't mean they shouldn't get support! I have noticed that the regs here divert people into using the freeware, and that's great, because I myself love to venture into usable software, paid for or not. However, in doing so, ya forget to answer the individuals questions sometimes, or not completely!!

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

There is a seperate Forum for DVDxCopy users set up by Afterdawn morph , so to say regs here 'divert' people into freeware choice is completely wrong.

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

Link is at the bottom of each and every aD screen :D

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Good point Morph416 - Here we go -
    in case ya missed it -

and -
    If it isn't clear enough -

[bold]XCOPY WON'T COPY AN XCOPY COPY[/bold]

To try to copy, try Nero or Decrypter ISO in and ISO out :)

"P"

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Well, don't get me wrong....diverting me to using freeware was the right choice. I tried using DVD X Copy, and even though it's a great program, I found the others DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink to be much easier to use with a better GUI.