1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy a copy

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by JMC74, Feb 6, 2005.

1. JMC74

JMC74 Member

I am using DVD Shrink and NERO Express to copy my movies. The original copy will play fine in my DVD player, but my computer will not recognize the copy to make another copy. Any suggestions?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I use nero express disc to disc copy on a lot of my backups. No coasters on any of them,approx.50.They look identical to the original backup copy.

Use high quality media on your original backup copy:mcc,mxlrg-02, and ty.Preferably made in japan.Don't use that cheap crap media.

On that original high quality backup disc,burn it 4x.

On ripping that disc,burn that extra copy also at 4x.

Turn everything off in the background,turn off the net.No multi-tasking whatso ever.

Have a high quality burner also helps.

Re-ripping your backups is a true test to check the quality of media. Using a sensible 4x speed also helps.

Your backup copy probably has a lot of errors on it. It may be the poor quality of media or just burned too fast.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Are you saying that the copy you made on your PC will not be recognized by the same PC/drive?

4. JMC74

JMC74 Member

That is correct, the drive will not recognize the media that I just burned. I know the media is fine, in that the same media (with copies of movies on it generated from a friends system) is recognizable on my system. What I do not understand is why I can play my copies on a DVD player but not recopy them. Also, my copies are great quality with no errors on them. I have already uninstalled NERO and reinstalled NERO, I thought this might fix the problem but it still does the same thing.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Still sounds like a media issue. What brand,speed,and format of media you are burning?
    How fast did you burn it?

I.D. that media here,and it's free: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Your friend has a different burner,thus a different laser. Same media and different burners.One brand of media will work great on 1 certain burner while the other burner will not recognize it.

Tell us the manufacturer code on those blank discs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  6. JMC74

JMC74 Member

I have tried several brands: Platinum DVD+R 8X, Ridata DVD+R 8X, Value Disk DVD-R 4X. All were burned at maximum speed (I think they burned at 4X). I do not know how to find the codes. Both burners were the same, Mad Dog Multimedia product: MegaStor 6-in-1 8X DVD-RW DL.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jmc74, you can check you media codes on that program I gave you on my last post,dvd identifier.It's free and very handy on finding the manufacturers codes.

The ri-data 8x is probably your best media,the other 2,I have no idea.I would be very leary on them.

8. JMC74

JMC74 Member

I think this is the information you are looking for.
    (DVD+R:RITEK-R03-002) (DVD+R:AML-001-000) (DVD-R:CMC MAG.AF1.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Stick with the ritek ro3-oo2, and keep the burn under 4x.These are by far the best out of the 3.

The aml-001-00 : I would not trust these discs.

Cmc mag.af1, probably crap. The + format cmags are a lot better than the - format cmags, I still would avoid cmags entirely.

There can be a variation between both mad dog burners. A high quality media and sensible 4x burn speed should help.The cheap,generic,and poor media can do many things to you.Better media helps out on preventing those problems. This is not cd burning where any cd you slap in will burn and play. A lot more problems can occur in the dvd burn process. Try some maxell -4x or +4x,4 different manufacturers but all 4 are pretty darn good: mxl-rg02,ritek-go4,ty-01,and ricohjpn01.