1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy DirectCD/InCD Image

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Chalo, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Chalo

Chalo Member

I have made numerous attempts to copy a directCD or InCD disc such that the resultant copy is functional within its respective program. All of these attempts have met with failure. I have used various copying programs, including raw readers/writers, and the best I have been able to achieve is a disc which, though recognized by the packet-writer, raises a write error ten seconds or so after dragging a file over the disc. I have noted that all programs when imaging encounter a point after which all subsequent sectors are unreadable (sense error code 5/21/00). I do not believe this final block of sectors consitutes a protection, and the features designed to deal with bad sectors and such have failed to yield a functional disc. The only remaining option I can see, besides seeking further insight into the problem, is to capture directly the ouput of the packet-writer's formatting utility. But I have been unable to find a virtual burner for this task. Any ideas?

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

What exactly are you trying to do? I mean are you trying to burn a photo CD or a CDRom?

3. Chalo

Chalo Member

I was under the impression that the photoCD used an entirely separate format. I am using a cdrw.

4. Chalo

Chalo Member

I also have a followup question to my first. Assuming that the final block of unreadable sectors as mentioned above is important, would cgywin's dd fail to capture the block like raw readers/writers?

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

A photo CD can be made with any ordinary CD and the correct software. Even Nero allows you to create a photo CD. The file types must be compliant of course and most image files should be in jpeg format for best results. You can try changing the format to jpeg by either batch converting if you have photo imaging software that will do this, or else changing the file extension of each image ie to .jpeg You must load the images by drag and drop so you don't need to create an image file first. Have no idea what you are refering to with cgwyn's DD. What's that?

6. Chalo

Chalo Member

Firstly, my most pressing question is whether or not a virtual burner has been written. If I could find one of these, everything might begin to proceed smoothly again.
    I didn't know about photo CDs. However, I am fairly certain that the formatting involved in creating a photo CD, unless by photo cd you mean just a cd with photos, is quite apart from that of packet-writable discs. Packet-writable cdrws use a combination of iso and cooked udf (the extent of the cooking may be very limited), and are written to with fixed-length packets. These discs are formatted in a specific way for no other reason than to be accessed by a packet-writing program.
    Cgywin's dd is a file converter. It reads data directly from a file or device, and outputs to a specified file. My hope is that a program which does not demand the format structure of a disc can bypass the 5/21/00 (logical-block-address out of range) error. It may be naive of me to think this.