1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy dvd's from backup files using nero

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Tfp, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Tfp

Tfp Member

Hey I got a queqtion...

i'm using nero 5.5.10.33

Lately I read alot of stuff about how to copy dvd's from back up files

Your site rocks but I still didn't find an answer to my question

After alot of trying I was able to back up a movie on my hard disk using dvd shrink.
    Because the movie was too bog to put on 1 dvd(-R) I deleted some stuff like all the subtitle sin other languages I din't need etc.

My backup is now the write size and fits on one dvd

Now I wanted to try Nero to write this Dvd

I tried several times and it always kept giving an error before it wrote. I was able to "fix" this on my own (now i just read it on your site) But now i can play the dvd on my dvd player (on televison) but there is NO AUDIO playing

These are the files i have from the movie

VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB

In nero there is a AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS Folder

I putted everything id the Video_Ts folder because I didn't know which of the files was the one with the audio.. So now i have no sound on my dvd when i play it..

Can anybody help me out here? Which files should be put where and does it differ with all movies or is it all the same

Tnx alot
    Kenny
    (Belgium)

2. elven_07

elven_07 Member

Ya I beleive your supposed to put everything in the video_ts folder. But you may have touched a setting and messed soemthing up. But It looks lik their should be more files than that. You should have a bunch of .info vob bup files i believe. But i couldn't specifically tell you why your sound isn't working, I'm sorta of a newb my self to this, I hope this helps you somewhat.

3. Tfp

Tfp Member

Hi,

tnx for the post/help but i can't remember touching any of the buttons so i don't think i messed something up.. I hope not

You say something about the files that i don't have.. Maybe that's because I ripped the dvd with that shrink program.. and i deleted some stuff so the dvd would fit on one disk. Maybe that's why i don't have those files? The dvd plays on my dvdplayer (only the movie with no extras) and i got the dutch subtitles
    And thats all i want .. All i need now is some audio ;-)

Anyway still searching for the answer.

Tnx for your post

greez

Kenny

4. malum

malum Regular member

You have the correct files in the correct place.
    The audio is combined with the video in the VOB files.

You must have deleted all the audio options in Shrink

5. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

There is always a default audio track on the DVDs, it seems that you have deleted that in DVD Shrink. But maybe there is still some audio track left (the stereo track or the 6-ch track). To check this open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in a dvd software player and run trough all the audio tracks to see if there's anything left (I guess you could do that with your dvd player too somehow). If not, then I'm afraid malum's right and you've deleted them all. Do you remember which audio tracks you unchecked in DVD Shrink?

6. Tfp

Tfp Member

Hi,

Tnx for all your posts

In the meanwhile I downloaded Nero 6 and copied a new dvd with it that i ripped earlier in dvd shrink.

This dvd works. I don't really know what went wrong with the last one but i guess i deleted some stuff i shouldn't have with the shrink program...

So tnx guys for all the help i'l try some more dvd's and when it still doesn't work i'll write down what I deleted and what i kept...

Greetz from Belgium

Kenny

7. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Where is the IFO file?

8. Samantha

Samantha Member

Try clicking "Auto Compression" or what ever it is in DVD Shrink, that way you'll have the full movie exactly the way its meant to be. Then Burn.

9. Tfp

Tfp Member

Bodene: The files VIDEO_TS and VTS_01_0
    are both IFO files...

Samantha: I'll try doing that some day but I wanted the highest quality I could get and I only needed the movie.

So perhaps if I do the Auto thing it will compress the whole dvd (With all the extras) at a low quality?

10. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

If you use the auto-mode, then all the extras, menus and the movie will all have an equal or similar compression ratio.
    Therefore, if you want to have maximum quality on the movie, you can get rid of all the menus, extras and commentary audio tracks. You can do this with DVD Shrink by using the re-author option (see this excellent guide http://dvdshrink.info/reauthor_basic.php or this one http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_Re_Author.htm)

or you can use DVD Shrink in File or IFO mode with "movie only" selected. Then if the movie still needs compression use DVD Shrink (no re-authoring required anymore) or DVD2One or a similar compression program.

In DVD Shrink you can also select the compression ratios for the movie, extras and menus separately. So you can select heavy compression on some extras thus leaving the movie with less compression. Then you just run it and check the results with PowerDVD or some other software player before you burn it. If the quality is not satisfactory, try some other settings/software.

11. Tfp

Tfp Member

Tnx alot

I'll try some stuff

Kenny

12. elmos

elmos Member

I haven't tried Nero 6 yet to backup a DVD.
    Do I have to use DVD Shrink or one of those programs as well as Nero 6 to do this? I thought the new Nero would do it all.

13. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

If I'm not mistaken, Nero is unable to uncrypt the protections and remove macrovisions and area-codes from DVDs. That's why you have to use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to rip the movie from the DVD to your harddisc.

Commercial DVDs are usually DVD-9 (dual layer DVDs), containing up to 9 GB of data. The burnt DVDs can hold only 4.38GB. That's why you need a compression and/or re-authoring program like DVD Shrink or DVD2One.

As you propably noticed, DVD Shrink does both the ripping and the compression/re-authoring in one, which is the reason why it's used so much. It's also free.

Nero is a very good burning tool, although it has caused headaches to many (including me). Nevertheless I presume its usage as DVD copying tool is limited to unprotected single layer (or dual layer DVDs with less than 4.38GB of data) DVDs. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this one.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  14. Tfp

Tfp Member

Yes you can copy (at least with the old nero so it must work with the new nero too) dvd's that fit on one disc using the "copy entire disk" (or something simular) option within the dvd options
    I copied American history X like this and it works With all the extras and stuff)

15. elmos

elmos Member

Thanks for the info.
    Does anyone know if the backup copy of the DVD can be put onto a blank CD-R disk with Nero or does it have to be onto a DVD-R??

16. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

The problem here is that CD-R:s are made to fit 700-800MB of data, whereas onto a DVDR you can burn 4.38GB.
    I've read somewhere that it would be possible to make "DVDs" on CD-R that play in a standalone DVD player, but even then they could only have the 700 or 800MB of data on one disc. I don't know if that's true.
    I know that if your standalone player supports it, you can watch SVCD movies or divx (.avi) movies burnt on CDr:s, but again only max 800MB data/cd.

So according to my knowledge, if you want to copy a DVD, you do have to use a DVDR to burn it to. Nevertheless if your files are smaller than 800MB (which regular DVDs never are) then you could use a CDr to burn it, but I guess then you have to have a "special" standalone player capable of reading it.

TFP
    It seems that Nero is also able straight images from single layer (or below 4.38GB sized dual layer) DVDs, whereby it copies all the encryption and region codes as such. I didn't know that... there you go, you learn every day :).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004