1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy MY Older VHS tapes to DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by burninmad, Sep 13, 2007.

1. burninmad

burninmad Member

Since I got my SV2000 (WALMART online) (FUNAI?),I have had a "Few" copyright code messages on screen.If I try a commercial DVD to DVD copy ,it stops right away,and reads: Copyright protected! BUT a few of my "older VHS tapes,I' copied from a few years ago to VHS ,also, get that same message,but continues to record!NO erasures or anything! This shows up on a few commercial VHS tapes ,but others,NOT!Doesn't seem to matter what year either.I've tried "newer,97 or so,tapes,commecial copies,Record fine!Older copy.I made; 99 or so ,Message pops up randomly,BUT ,still records! Apparently if it's NOT going to duplicate a VHS or DVD,it says on startup!I still get most of my "Classics" collection,on DVD.Am just curious what this is doing and why? I also heard from someone that to copy a DVD you need to take a Felt Marker around the edge? I don't want to just make copies of these "Newer" movies,just what I paid for on Cable or Satellite!Personal use too!Hope I live long enough ,to watch that "Classic Rerun" of my favorites,too numerous to mention here!And have a Excellent DVD copy ,I made!My collection,I paid once for! "LIVE FREE ,OR DIE" ,The "OLD GUY":burninmad!

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Generally, the commercial vhs tapes have/had a copy protection called Macrovision. This technique would "push" the video signal to the upper limit and cause the picture to look like a scrambled picture. I guess the manufacturers of the recorders could also have a message recorded across the video if they sense Macrovision.

Hopefully you have tried playing these commercial vhs to dvd transfers of yours to insure they are completely playable.

Some decoders and maybe standalones ignore Macrovision. I have a Hauppauge capture card which ignores the Macrovision. I found instructions for your Funai on how to record protected vhs to dvds here.

The copy protection techniques (and there are several) used on commercial dvds are encoded on the disc, not on the edge. Running a felt marker around the edge of a commercial dvd will do nothing other than mark the edge of the disc.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  3. burninmad

burninmad Member

Thanks for ALL the informative ,enlightening ,information on copying my collection of VHS ,older tapes ,and some I'd like to copy for "Longer" storage! Great website,and full of "Goodies"! Yeah,I am aware of Macrovision somewhat,but you've "enlightened me! I do have the "standalone DVD recorder,however my Brother has the identical SV2000 Combo DVDR/VHS/player/recorder.Now he has to work,so unlike me,on disability retirement,I "Burn" DVD's All Day and Night!!Trying to save those classics of my personal collection,that you just don't see regularly on Cable or Satellite,but I get Lucky once in awhile,and "Voila"!,There's a Broadcast of one of my favorites,all in new digitized format,AND Surround Sound! Trip Me Out!!Thanks Again !! Most Useful!! "Live Free or Die"! burninmad

4. burninmad

burninmad Member

P.S. Hobbit: I do replay my copies of commercial tapes I bought/DVD copies ,and also most other copies too! Especially at first when I owned that MOAR(Mother Of All Recorders)Cyberhome!!After the "Big Raid" ,by the FBI in Fremont,Ca. ,I took it back to Circuit City,and they gave me a refund!!!I used that $65 or so and got this SV2000 ,online at Walmart for $55!I bet I burned at least 300 or so so far,since March or so!I forgot to mention ,I use my GoVideo VCR/DVD player combo ,after a "burn",and Test there!NOT a DVD recorder,but both players!Circuit City refunded my money after I started having DVD "Burn" problems,even out of Warranty! Surprised me too! I had talked to one employee there,nothing! But a kind young Lady knew what to do,and put on the return receipt: Company out of business!!Good Business for Circuit City,renewing some faith I had in them after several other Electronic "toys" I got there!

5. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I know what you mean. I transferred my vhs library over to dvd 2 years ago. Just in time too, some of the tapes had fade & washout plus I had to repair a couple of the cassettes first, the tape snapped when I was winding & rewinding them to loosen the tape up. But it's done. Now I am going back over the dvds and checking them for quality, they were the first I had done and I didn't know what I was doing. ;P