1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Problems: SAW and Cellular

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bnckeye, Feb 4, 2005.

1. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

I've been using DVD Shrink with Nero, all the latest. Also, have AnyDVD, Vob Blanker, and DVD Decrypter. I've had no problems copying movies until recently. When reading the movie SAW it gets to 67% and gives me a cyclical redundancy/cannot read error. The disk is perfect, no damage, brand new. Anyone have any suggestions? Same thing happened with Cellular. Are these companies just putting out brand new protection or what?

2. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Here go to this link and it will tell you step by step how to burn the newer movies and it should work well for SAW and Cellular. Let me know how it goes.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/ripping.html

Note that you may get a black screen for the first two chapters of the movie so before you burn it using shrink try to set the start and end times like start on chapter 2 or 3 instead of one. That will fix the black screen error people have been getting on the newer movies. Hope this helps and thanks again BBMAYO!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2005
  3. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

Thanks I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out!

4. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

Unfortunately I'm having the same problems (same as in cellular too). Here's all I can figure: The new protection is somehow blocking files in the 2/3rd or 3/4th of the movie. For example, the files copy fine on Saw until I get to:

vts_01_04.vob

Then, it can't copy it, I didn't write down the error message, but I'm confident that, after 2 brand new movies with the same problem, there is a new protection.

Again, I've used AnyDVD and DVD Decriptor, Vob Blanker, all the rest. I realize Saw isn't released yet, so many people won't experience this problem (I got it from a friend who works at Blockbuster, they get them like 10 days early). But, if you try this with Cellular, I'm pretty sure you'll encounter the same problems. Any new suggestions welcome!

5. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

ive had the same thing happen, and the cyclic redundancy has nothing to do with protection i think. i usually put the movie in my dvd-rom, and a blank im my dvd-rw and go at it, but once in awhile i get a movie that gives me the cyclic redundancy error. when that happens i make sure to clean the disc off good and it usually works. if that doesnt work i just use my dvd-rw drive to rip it and it usually works. if that still fails i use the dvd-rw drive since its better quality, and i use dvd decryptor to rip the image to my hard drive where i mount it with alcohol. occasionally if a movie really gives me problems(like shaun of the dead) i will analyze it using dvd shrink then just use reauthor mode and put everything but the menus in it. i had to resort to reauthoring for a few movies, but i still got the main movie will all the normal chapter breaks onto dvd-r.

i use the latest version of shrink, dvd decryptor, and anydvd. i use nero 6.0

and btw i havent tried saw but i copied cellular just fine.

6. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

Yeah I tried copying directly from my ROM to my +/- RW with no luck...both disks were clean and brand-spankin'-new. I dunno, I could be wrong about this whole thing, but I still can't get it to work and I'm thinking there's a new protection system...the problems are too similar. I'll keep trying at different ways and let ya'll know.

7. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

for saw or cellular? because if its cellular i can guarantee you can get around the protection with the next to latest anydvd and the latest dvd shrink.

8. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

Let me know if you do, because AnyDVD is my first line and I have the latest version, and it hasn't worked for me.

9. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

Actually, you said you burned cellular - did you use anything besides AnyDVD and DVD Shrink? I used these two and got the same type of message...the disk I was trying to copy was brand-new with no scratches, marks, smudges, anything.

10. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

i dont remember exactly, but i dont think i used anything else. if i did use anything else it was dvd decrypter.

11. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

I have SAW on my computer as a .mds file (Alcohol 120%)- but I can't watch it to see if it's all there, and it's too big to put on a regular disk - how can I compress/convert/shrink this to see if it will work? I can't get dvd shrink to recognize the .mds format.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  12. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

its an image file for alcohol. you need to create a "virtual" drive using alcohol, then right click on the drive and "mount image". the drive will emulate a dvd drive and read the image as if it was a real dvd. once you mount it it should auto start the dvd as if you just popped it in your dvd rom drive. and if it is in fact the entire movie then you just open dvd shrink, but instead of navigating to your real cd/dvd roms, your new virtual drive should be listed and since its emulated as a real dvd and dvd drive you can just use shrink as normal on your new virtual drive.

13. bnckeye

bnckeye Member

got it - thanks. I'm going to watch it now and see if it worked. I didn't actually have to do any extra work. After copying that file, I opened up shrink and the virtual drive was right there...so I just processed it and that was it. Alcohol did have 2-3 read errors, so I'm hoping the movie is intact...but it looks good so far.