1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Proctection Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by joystmk, Jan 18, 2007.

1. joystmk

joystmk Member

Hi all,

Can someone pls help. I try to copy a drama DVD but shown this error" DVD Shrink Encounterd an error and cannot continue. Failed to read File E. Copy Protection Error. The read failed becaused the sector is encrypted" Does anyone know what this error mean? Pls kindly adv

Thank You

Regards
    joystmk

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Joystmk,

The problem really is that DVD Shrink just isn't capable of decrypting a lot of DVD's anymore because it is old and not updated (well over a year). May I suggest you use DVD FAB Decrypter to first rip the DVD to your hard drive and then use Shrink as you normally would from there. Don't worry DVDFab Decrypter is also free so you shouldn't have any problems giving this a try.

You can get DVDFab Decrypter here DVDFab Decrypter

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Since you already have Shrink installed, there is another easy alternative. Install DVD Decrypter and then install the macro program RipIt4Me. Once installed it is as easy as 1-Click and is as powerful as any of the retail apps for decrypting and transcoding the new DVD releases with the more difficult copy protections.
    http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

We all have our favorites, but Shrink is good... and even better, good and free. LOL The free Ripit4me just makes it better. ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@joystmk

[bold]Aside from an actual copy protection issue that shrink can't do anything about.....are you autoburning to disk using NERO?[/bold]

The problem happens after you've pressed the Backup button, and is caused by a bug in older versions of Nero6.

What happens is, if "enable burning with Nero" is checked in the DVD Shrink preferences, then when you hit Backup, the backup window calls functions inside the Nero DLLs in order to get the list of available burning devices.

What happens inside the Nero DLL (dynamic link library), who knows, but on some systems, while scanning for burning devices, it sends a command to your DVD-ROM/RW drive which can cause it to produce the error when DVD Shrink subsequently tries to read from it.

This only affects some drives with some versions of Nero, and should of been fixed in Nero version 6.3.0.4

If this is the case with you, either update nero6 or uncheck enable burning with Nero and burn manually.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Solution: Use up to date decryption software, RI4M, DVDIdle, and Slysoft.

The program DVD Shrink had a problem reading a particular file, File E. Copy Protection Error indicates the decryption software isn't functioning properly. That's before the software gets to the burn process.

Since joystmk posted once with no mention of a burn problem or Nero, how did Nero get in the discussion?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  8. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

As I stated above, older versions of nero6 also produced this error condition when used in conjunction with shrink as described.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Looks like Nero would have gotten the bugs out of 6, but now 7 has proven to be a good suite. I've not heard as many complaints about it as 6. With Nero 6 about every other update caused some kind of problem for someone. But why describe all the possibilities before we even know what's on the system. Plus a simple try with an "up to date" decryption software will tell if copy protection is the problem or not. Then we can discuss the more exotic problems of software interference.

10. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

It's an unlikely possibility, but one none the less and so woth a mention. Some members are still using older versions of nero....

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@bbmayo
    Welcome back glad to see your site is back up. One of the "Holy Grails"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007