1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by murasame1, May 10, 2007.

1. murasame1

murasame1 Member

hey guys i was wondering if there is a way to bypass the copy protection. Before i used to use dvd decrypt the dvds i wanted , and it worked perfectly. Then it didnt work with the majority of the dvds i got. So i got dvd shrink, it worked fine in the begining but later on it did the same thing as the dvd decrypter.

so my question is that does it depend on the type of decrypter you use? or is it some other thing that i may be missing.

thanks,

Murasame1

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. murasame1

murasame1 Member

hey thanks man ill thry the program once i get home!
    thanks agen!

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

the reason why DVDDecrypter and Shrink didn't work for the DVDs that you are trying to rip and burn because they are not updated for years now. It will work with older DVDs not newer ones with updated encryptions that it can't handle. They need help. DVDFabDecrypter is free and you'll find that even that is now being replaced by DVDFab HD Decrypter, found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

and here are some guides for you to help you along:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/Guides.htm
    there are plenty of programs that will allow you to do almost anything with DVDs. Just read and learn. some are free, some have free trial periods, and some cost money.... it's all what you want to do with a DVD and how you want to do it!

5. bulldogz

bulldogz Guest

This is a better software.It's decrypts and shrinks a movie at the same time while copying.Here is the link. Download magic dvd copier.It's a trial so use it wisely.Good luck.

6. res2cue

res2cue Guest

I have to throw in my opinion here. For easyness I promote clonedvd and anydvd from www.slysoft.com

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Just for clarification the MagicDVD and Slysoft programs are pay programs, both offer a trial period so you can try before you buy. If'n I was going to pay for a program I would go for the slysoft programs. I have used and still do use both pay programs and freeware and have yet to come across a movie that freeware couldn't handle...that being said, DVDFab HD Decrypter coupled with ole reliable DVD Shrink should still be a strong contender.

8. kenbec

kenbec Member

Hello there,

I have been using DVD Shrink (the latest version) to back up my favourite DVDs for some time now with great success.
    So with some confidence I have backed up several without reading them afterwards.
    After watching one the other night I found that about 15 minutes into the movie it started consistently jumping across several scenes, on checking I found that some of my other recordings did and some didn't behave in the same way.
    After reading the earlier parts of this thread I downloaded DVDFab HD Decrypter but find that one of the DVDs that didn't record properly before is behaving in exactly the same way.
    Is there a new copy protection that causes this? I should add that the ones that misbehave are more recent than the ones recording properly.

Any clue as to the way to correct this problem would be very much appreciated.

regards

ken

9. colw

colw Active member

@ kenbec
    Your problem is unlikely to be related to software used.

1. More likely it is the use of poor quality media - what brand are to burning to?
    2. Burning too fast - at what speed are you burning?
    3. The use of paper labels on your burnt media.

10. kenbec

kenbec Member

colw,

1. I am using LG Printable DVD-R 1-16x 120min Video 4.7GB Data.
    2. 16x as determined by Nero.
    3. Not sure what you mean here, but I have not attached any labels to the DVDs and the last one created by DVDFab HD Decrypter/Nero as a test was not labelled in any way at all just run on my DVD player straight from the recording session.

Do 1 or 2 suggest a possible reason for the problem? The recordings are pretty near perfect for approximately the first 15 min.

Thank you for your assistance.

ken

11. LOCOENG

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Install and run the above program, put blank disc in the drive and lets see who really manufactures those discs...I'm pretty sure they are going to be CMags.

Yes...pixellation, pausing, jumping and stuttering are typically caused by the use of cheap media, burning too fast or applying paper adhesive labels. While you have DVD Identifier open lets check your firmware as outdated firmware can create some problems as well.

12. kenbec

kenbec Member

LOCOENG,

Well you picked it in one, below is the result of the test.
    I suppose the next step is:-
    a.to buy a different set of discs or
    b.record at a lower speed or
    c.both

How do I do this, forgive me if I am a bit thick but I just couldn't see how.

Thank you for the assistance I can now see some hope ahead of backing up my favourite movies.

regards

ken

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AM3]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AM3]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

13. LOCOENG

I would check my firmware before I buy new discs...some people have no luck with those CMags at all, but if your firmware is out of date it may lessen your chances for success. There should be a drop down menu at the top of the program which will list your drive and then the firmware version. You can look it up here:

http://www.rpc1.org

I see you have DVD Decrypter as well...if you go to tools -> Drive -> Check for firmware update...that should get you what you are looking for as well.

14. kenbec

kenbec Member

LOCOENG,

Well rpc1.org has nothing for my drive, which is identified by DVD Identifier as a
    ** INFO : Drive = TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-W162Z - [FW TS01] - [ATAPI]

The drive itself is labelled on the front as a Writemaster which is produced by the TSST corp.

As far as I can ascertain there are no firmware updates available.

A manual search of rpc1.org came up with nothing and using
    the DVD Decrypter -> Drive -> Check for firmware update feature returned a string not found in rpc1.org.

Beyond trying a slower burn speed or new DVDs I am not sure if there is anything else I can do.

I am assuming that this particular drive has, in itself, no inherent weaknesses.

Can you see any other solution now?

Thanks in advance

ken

15. kenbec

kenbec Member

Well still using the same DVDs I have tried writing a DVD at 4x and it seems to have worked ok.

I guess the question now is should I use better DVDs as well, for long term security.

Can you suggest a make that is consistently good.

regards

ken

16. LOCOENG

17. kenbec

kenbec Member

LOCOENG,

Thank you for all your help.

I normally use Verbatim discs but couldn't find any when I ran out so I bought these LG ones

I am wondering whether I should use them at all as I have about 40 left and I have no confidence that they will be reliable over the long term ie.won't lose the recording over time.

Do you have an opinion?

regards

ken

18. LOCOENG

I save the "iffy" discs for friends and experiments...I wouldn't just toss them in the bin.

Hope you have some luck with another brand.

19. kenbec

kenbec Member

LOCOENG,

Excellent idea. That is exactly what I will do.

I feel confident that Verbatim will be the answer, I have never seen or heard of Taiyo Yuden maybe they are not available in Australia.

I got so focussed on the thought of copy protection that it took someone with a deeper knowledge to point me in the right direction, this you did.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

best wishes

ken