1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy protected VHS to DVD and VHS

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Nataliye, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Nataliye

Nataliye Member

Hi.
    I have Pioneer VHS Recorder and a lot of Disney Videos. I want to transfer them to DVD but unfortunatly I can't do it as my recorder says "Copyrighted Material" What can I do against it?

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. provobis

provobis Member

I have a large collection of VHS tapes, both home made and commercial, some of which have macro vision or other sort of copy guard which of course prevents copying. I have bought and own all of them and want to preserve them (back up) on DVD. Here and elsewhere I have seen discussions about appropriate devices to do the job, vhs-vhs, vhs-dvd, dvd-vhs, vhs-computer HD, and so on. But no one seems certain about how well any of the devices work or what kind of job they do.

It seems to me my best (and simplest) bet is transfer from vhs to computer HD (while removing any kind of copy guard that may be employed) so I can then use DVD fab 8, So Think DVD maker, or other software to burn DVD's. However none of the suggestions in discussions I've seen seem sure, current, reliable, or applicable for my use, and often the devices refereed to have been discontinued, removed, or are obsolete or no longer available. I can understand why as vhs continues to disappear and new technology replaces that medium, not to mention that copying commercial video is a controversial subject...(almost untouchable). But I only want to protect the VHS tape I paid for and have no intention to resell or profit in any way.

So I would appreciate an answer from someone here who has good knowledge of such a transfer device I describe which is currently available and works well for all VHS tapes regardless of the type of copy guard used.

If someone has alternate suggestions it would appreciated and I would be interested in any advice or additional discussion though it seems I've decided on what I actually should use. Thanks all.

4. provobis

provobis Member

The GREX page has evidently been removed. Any other suggestions?