1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy protected VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rspeyer, Jan 2, 2004.

1. rspeyer

rspeyer Member

I have legally bought hundreds of VHS taped movies. I would like to get these to DVD in order to save a tremendous amount of space. There is obviously copy protection on these VHS tapes. When I capture them to my computer and then put it on DVD I get the copy protection red lines on the screen.

I also have a Camcorder now that records directly to DVD. I can copy the tapes directly to DVD if I can avoid the copy protection which stops the camera operation.

Is there a Hardware cable that spoofs the VCR or program that accomplishes the same thing.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

You allready asked this very same question in this Site, You are not allowed to post the same question in Multiple Forums...I believe I allready told you that you need a Video Stabilizer and I left you a few Links were you can get them ,They were some of the same Links Posted by MysticE....

4. terl

terl Member

http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm

This is a very hot and hard to find accurate information on. I have not bought, but so far this is the cheapest solution I have found. I asked the manufacturer many questions and the mfg said that it would handle everything I talked about. I am still looking into doing this thru a video PCI card rather than dropping the money on this - but - if that don't work I believe this is the first external option I would try. WILL SETTING A DVD RECORDER TO ALL REGIONS EFFECTIVELY REMOVE ANY PROTECTION?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

No It won"t...Region Codeing and Copy Protection are 2 seperate things, Once you get rid of the Region codeing you still have to worry about Macrovision Copy Protection....

6. rspeyer

rspeyer Member

What do you think is the best capture and movie editing software out on the market. I have looked at the Ulead product, and they seem medicre. I need something that will give me multiple choices for transitions and the way I edit the home movies I am going to transfer to DVD.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

It depends on what type of capture device you have and what your source is...If you are doing analogue Capture then I allways use a seperate Capture Program than My editing Program but for DV Capture(or uncompressed Analogue Capture) and any AVI editing I like to use Vegas Video 4 it has Great transitions and Filters and easier to use than Some others Like Premier or Avid ,At work I get to use any Editing software I want to and use a few different ones depending on what type of stuff I am editing...

8. terl

terl Member

I personally have not been into this video thing very long, but I can tell you this - so far Pinnacle Studio seems to work fairly well. I also know that 1.2 is the minimum speed from your processor - for good capture the faster the computer speed the better. 1.2 just barely cuts it.

9. rspeyer

rspeyer Member

Thanks to Minions advice I bought the facet product and it works great for eliminating the red stripes and allowing me to copy my existing tapes to DVD.

I talked with a friend of mine over the weekend and they recommended the Pinnacle software as well. I may give it a demo try this week.

Thanks for the advice.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Pinnacle Studio 8 Is not Very Good For Video capture Useing an Analogue Capture card because Studio 8 will only let you capture Video useing there own Proprietary Codecs, and these Codecs are Not very Good for Capture..For editing it is a OK Program but I still Prefer something like Vegas Video 4 for editing and I use a whole host of Different Programs for Video Capture depending on what Format and Codecs I want to use...I have Been actually getting Quite Good Captures useing WinDVR 3.0 captureing directly to Mpeg2 and to Dolby digital AC3 audio but useing the Max Bitrate of 20,000kbs which is over twice the max allowable Bitrate allowed for DVD so the Quality is Very High and then I re-encode the File useing a High Quality Mpeg2 encoder Like CinemaCraft useing 3-Passes or Canopus Procoder on Mastering Quality and use some Filters to remove any Noise or Problems with the color or Brightness ECT ,then author to DVD and The Quality is Quite Good, Better in some cases than if I were to capture to Uncompressed AVI and then encoded to mpeg2...It might be a Method you might like to try ,It is a Good method for those who don"t have 80-100gb of Drive space to capture one Movie to..Cheers

11. xolx

xolx Member

Hi.
    I personaly use one mentioned here from
    http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm
    I'm very happy with it. Nice, cool, small and does all
    I need. I copy VHS to DVDR and DVD to DVDR with Panasonic DMR E50 and Philips DVDR75.
    As for clarifyer I decided not go for it because of
    jittering problem reported in some forums.
    Regards.