1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy protection error on dvd shrink! Help!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by melbabe, Mar 29, 2004.

1. melbabe

melbabe Member

I am using dvd shrink 3.1 and i have tried several different dvds and everytime i get the same message "DVD shrink encountered an error and cannot continue, copy protection error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. this happens when i try to back up the disc. Any suggestions?

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Have you checked in 'preferences'? In 'output settings' all boxes should be checked and you may need to change some of the settings in I/O. I have the first and last boxes checked but the centre one unchecked as it is not necessary. Try againand try and use an RW disc to save wastage.

3. canonis

canonis Member

I have tried what you said and I still get the same error. I am trying to backup Lost in Space.

Any ideas?

4. daba

daba Guest

Rip the disc with DVD Decrypter (free) in File mode, then run DVD Shrink, click on "Open folder" and select the VIDEO_TS folder created by Decrypter.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try playing the original movie for a few seconds with your player software. Then stop it and open Shrink. It should decrypt then. Shrink needs a kick to get started sometimes.

Jerry

6. canonis

canonis Member

Thanks daba! I did exactly what you said and it worked.

Jerry746, that sounds a little weird that I have to start playing the DVD with a player before trying to rip it. You would think that the makers of DVD Shrink would know about this bug and fix it. But as for me it's not worth it. I'd rather not waste my time reading 1/2 the disk and receive the error only to realize that I didn't "jump start it" long enough :)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You don't have to play half the disc, only a few seconds to unlock the drive.

8. woof811

woof811 Regular member

in future any shrink error that says copy protection error you will need to first rip your dvd with dvd decrypter.
    then open shrink and open files instead of open disc.
    then locate the VIDEO_TS folder that decrypter has made and load it into shrink.
    by doing that you have ripped the dvd with decrypter and shrunk it to fit with shrink.
    just because sometimes the ripping part of shrink cant crack the decryption but dvd decrypter can.
    so for all those that dont have dvd decrypter i would recomend installing just in case shrink gives you a copyright error .
    happy burning :eek:)