1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Protection Error with Van Helsing?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by merlin379, Nov 5, 2004.

1. merlin379

merlin379 Member

Hi Ive been using dvd shrink and nero to make copys for several months with no problems. Today Ive encountered a problem trying to backup Van Helsing. My error message is: Failed to read file "F:\" , Copy Protection Error- The read failed because the sector is encrypted.

Like I say Ive never had any problems before and cant seem to get around this. Im using the latest version of DVD Shrink. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?

2. cruester

cruester Member

Use DVD Decrypter to decrypt it (in File mode) then use DVD Shrink like you normally would.

3. JoshB

JoshB Member

Replace the unreference material box with a still image..I assume this is happening when encoding!

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi merlin379, welcome to aD,

You should always keep DVD Decrypter around when using DVD Shrink. For a backup ripper it's great AND for a default burner if you want a change from Nero, it can't be beat - The price is right too - like, how can you beat FREE ? ?

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

When ripping in the "Default" setting doesn't seem to be doing the job, go to "Tools", "Settings", "File" "Mode" then "tick" Remove PUO's" . If you're ripping in the "ISO", "Read", "Mode" "tick" "Remove PUO's" there also. IMPORTANT: While you're here, go to the "I/O" tab and in the bottom right-hand side "tick" "Ignore read errors," an excellent setting when working with a disc with a corrupt file or two then click "OK" and endeavor to rip again.

BTW, I like ripping in the "ISO", "Read", "Mode" then use "File", "Open disc Image" in DVD Shrink to open the ISO image then process as usual.

Enjoy,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  5. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Scubapete,
    I am using the file mode. Then open with shrink.
    Is it better to use the ISO read?
    Thanks

6. linkinpht

linkinpht Member

Hello, im having problems with the Van Helsing DVD also, what happens is that in the video quality i noticed that there are "small digital blocks" on the image. Like lets say for the cgi shots, the cgi when it moves, there are small digital squares in the shot. I checked on 'Enable overlapping', 'read 32bk blocks...' and i also used "maximum smoothness, "sharp (default)" and it still looks the same.

Can someone please tell me how to fix the small digital squares that appear in the picture.

Thank you.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

In DVD Decrypter use ISO, READ, MODE.

When that's finished - go to DVD Shrink, FILE, OPEN DISC IMAGE to get the ISO file then un-check all useless audio the go to DVD Decrypter and choose ISO, WRITE and burn Shrink's finished ISO to disc - use this guide -

a guide for DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink & then DVD Decrypter

Are we all set ?

Great !

Of course the main thing is to download the programs before you can think of doing anything :)

Program # 1.
    (Get your DVD Decrypter's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Program # 2.
    (Get your DVD Shrink's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now that we've done that - exactly

First create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\All My DVD Work\Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive.)

To be sure we don't miss a setting and that all steps are followed EXACTLY -

PLEASE, PRINT THIS GUIDE OUT NOW !
    (It makes it so much easier to follow :D)

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video burning. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Now we're going to rip this "Puppy" with DVD Decrypter. Open DVD Decrypter and let's go to "Tools", "Settings" then go to the "I/O" tab and in the bottom right-hand side "tick" "Ignore read errors," then click OK". Under "Source" find the drive with your original DVD and in "Destination", since it's an ISO file it can go anywhere in your prepared folder. Then "click" the Drive to HD "icon" -

We'll wait for the "rip, the music will let us know when DVD Decrypter is finished :) Meanwhile, I'm going for coffee and a smoke - I'll be back when it's done ~ ~>

Sea that ? I'm back. Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing - Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, in DVD Decrypter under "Mode" select "ISO, Write". "un-tick" the box that says "Verify". Where it says "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file from DVD Shrink automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

("Gee willikers Mr. Bill, I'm tired already - this is truly a lot of work." (Lol);)

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size no higher than 4360MB - If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4300MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't too large AND that we're not burning to the very edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab "un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK".

Are you rested now ? Super ! Now "click" DVD Shrink' s "File" and then "Open disc image", find your DVD Decrypter's ISO image then click "OK" and wait for about 30 seconds to about a minute while DVD Shrink "Analysis's" your DVD.
    Now, let's burn that DVD. Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages like Bovine Slobber Jaw, Saturn Ring Worrble, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" .
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform Deep Analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust Quality Enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink begins the process that burns that ISO image to your HD. What that means is DVD Shrink then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working.

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

Hey, I've got to get going - I want to pick up a DVD to watch tonight from Block Buster's - Just give me a holler when you get done and "catch me up" on how it all turned out, OK ?

Kweel, Chat with you later -

Sea Yaaaaaaa,

When you need a guide with a fractured humorous bone, shop ScubaPete :p)

Cheers,

Pete

Remember, hurry back, we'll be a-waiting for a full report -

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  8. bigbish

bigbish Member

I was having problems making a backup of Van Helsing. I tried DeCryptor, DVD Shrink, Smart Ripper etc. I always stopped at about 50% on the same file. I tried all the different settings suggested. I have a new PC with a Philips DVDRW drive. I then took it to work where I have a new IBM PC and I had no problems using DVD Shrink.

9. InfoBoy

InfoBoy Member

Hello people! How are you?

I am new here. I am from The Netherlands.

Since July 2004 I have a new pc with NEC 2500 burner but I still have not burnt one DVD..

Pete, thanks for you step by step quide, how to burn a DVD. I followed every step carefully, but somehow it still doesn't work. I downloaded Decrypter and Shrink. I tried to copy The Passion of the Christ to a DVD+RW like you said. Shrink found a sector that couldn't be read because of copy protection. So I used your guide:

a guide for DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink & then DVD Decrypter

Are we all set ?

Great !

During ripping with Decrypter there were 6 read errors but it finished normally. Everything went ok, untill I placed a blank DVD+RW (Nashua)Decrypter said: Disc needs formatting. I could not fint out how to format it an finally I just click the Icon "HD to DVD"? Then Decrypter said the DVD RW was not formatted and asked if I want to do so. I clicked yes and after formatting the burning process started and finished well. (the hilarious "tropical sound") But when I wanted to play the movie with K-lite Codec Pack's Media player classic it said: no disk or something. When I checked the dvdRW in This Computer and properties it showd it was empty!?

I'm am getting a little desperate. I don't know what to do and how to handle... Could someone PLEASE help me out? What could went wrong?

Thanks very much!!

Greetz,

Jelle.

P.S. sorry if some of my grammar is not so well...

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi bigbish, welcome to aD,

Go to DVD Decrypter and go to - tools, settings, I/O tab, the "Tick" ignore read errors.

Rip it again and let Shrink have a go at it then burn to disc -

Cheers,

Pete

Hi there Jelle, glad to have you aboard -

Let's get ourselves another disc, something of decent quality and either play the disc in a standalone player OR get something like - :InterVideo's Power DVD or in a bind, WinDVD.

For a little education on media, let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception - they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which, "Pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that "Oh no, I shouldn't have gotten those."

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them - what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Then let us know how you make out -

Pete

11. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

ScubaPete Great guide.
    I've always had problems with DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter used together.
    This guide should be added to the Afterdawn guides list since there doesn't seem to be one that tells you how to copy a disc over 4.36GB with Decryptor and Shrink.

12. InfoBoy

InfoBoy Member

Hi Pete!

Thanks for the welcome!

I was a dumb-ass, I think I have no DVD playing proggy on my pc. I shoved the burnt DVD+RW in my home cinema DVD player (Cyberhome) and it played perfectly!! But it refused to play my burnt DVD+R (using the same .iso as on the RW) My parents own a JVC DVD player and on that one the +R's played great. I need to buy another home cinema DVD I think... :)

Don't you think it is stange that it accepted the RW, but NOT the R?

Thanks again and please keep up the support.

Bye,

Jelle.
    The Netherlands.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jelle,

The reason it wouldn't read you burned disc is a media issue - read that lengthy post I wrote, using the correct discs will allow playing on most machines -

If you wish to use cheaper quality discs, you might want to make 2 discs for covering the degrading discs which you'll probably going to have -

One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

Cheers Jelle,

Pete

Thanks for the nice words ERA2000,

I'm afraid they want guides with screen shots and interactive art -

I don't know how to do that and have it work with the way in which I write my "story guides."

I'm sure someone far better than I in writing guides will rise to the occasion and produce something more to everyone's liking -

cheers,

Pete

14. InfoBoy

InfoBoy Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply!

I forgot to tell you what media I used...
    The DVD+RW that played on both stand alone players is a Nashua. Is that an ok brand? The DVD+R's that did not play on my Cyberhome but on a JVC ok. Is from FujiFilm. I think it might be my Cyberhome DVD player that causes the problem? Or should it not play the RW then as well?

I could not find the most of these media in The Netherlands yet: RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's. But I already leave the cheap crap in the stores... :) I've always been very anxious about cheap PC products...

Bye,

Jelle.

15. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

ScubaPete too bad it cant be made in to a guide.
    It would've been good.
    No option to add this thread to favourites either but anyway I guess it can be printed and saved.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jelle,

I checked, as you could have done, with DVD Identifier and found out the following - Nashua's RW discs and +RW discs are using Phase Change dye (It's good enough so they want to "Bragg" about it).

Their +R media are made by Ricoh CompanyLimited - a very good company with an excellent reputation.

Their -R discs are made by OPTODISC - a company I wouldn't buy from.

Their -R Authoring discs don't even list a Mfgr and I wouldn't trust them either.

SO, Nashua's RW, +RW and +R's would be on my Xmas list :)

Cheers,

Pete

ERA2000,

There should be - If you're using Internet Exployer, Fire Fox OR My IE2, just go to your tool bar and "Click" Favorites - then name this thread anything you you wish so it will stick out for you and "Click" OK-

I myself link some aD threads to my Internet Browser for reference -

Cheers,

Pete

17. linkinpht

linkinpht Member

is funny cause ive written questions here, and no one seems to answer it, and when other people ask for help right at the minute someone answers.

lol whatever

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry there linkinpht, sometimes pple get lost in the shuffle.

Actually, the way it's supposed to work is when pple have a question they're supposed to start a new thread. The fact of the matter is, there are a ton of threads like this one where pple just jump in with a question at we try to help - and sometimes we develop "tunnel vision" and someone gets missed along the way.

As I've said, sorry about us losing you - With the great restraint and patience you've shown here we're very glad to have you aboard - Let's get to your question -

The "artifacts" you're referring are the result of too much compression. This occurs with rather large DVD's. When I say large, it's not the 2 hours and 9 minutes of Van Helsing – it's all the special effects that aid in making the individual files huge. Of special note, those scenes that contain smoke, fog, fire and eerie lighting appear to show more "artifacts" than any other type of scenes.

Burning just the movie only or editing the movie by dropping all the foreign languages, "Unreferenced extras," "Extras" and "Trailers" is our first line of defense. Using a proggy like DVD Shrink with Deep Analysis and Enhancements, i.e. Maximum Smoothness (which I myself used on that exact same DVD) are the best way, short of splitting the movie between 2 discs OR using DL media to eliminate those blocks.

Some helpful "tricks"—

1. Using high quality media does much to smooth over those artifacts.

2. Reducing your burning speed to 4X OR even to 2.4X may also help.

3. Reducing the Menus by removing the automatic compression and setting it to still picture can also help.

Give it a try, you should be able to get a satisfactory backup without having to "split" the DVD.

Did you edit your backup ?

What media did you use to burn it too ?

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  19. InfoBoy

InfoBoy Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your information!
    You are right, I could have checked identifier..
    :) Sorry for the trouble. But thanks you checked it for me, because I shouldn't really be able to judge from that info. I am not really familiar on that kind of info.. I still have a lot to learn.

Greetz,

Jelle

Hi linkinpht!

How are you?
    I don't know what questions you wrote, maybe you can post them again? I am sure no one here is igoring you or something. I think they are very helpfull.

Take care and keep smiling.

Greetz,

Jelle
    The Netherlands

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ Pete,
    hey Pete i would like to post your guide on my websight with your permission of course. I would just add some pictures to it if thats alright? Let me know heres my sight if you wanna check it out first.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

Let me know what ya think?